Thread: Finishing Walnut in dry climate, and moving it to humid climate question.

Finishing Walnut in dry climate, and moving it to humid climate question.

I'm from Alberta, Canada. The air is dry, especially this time of year.

From 4/4 walnut I have made a piece of wall art (Hawaiian Island chain) that will travel with me to our villa in Maui where it will then remain for many years.

The largest piece is ~20 x 20” and is the only island that hasgained its size through laminating stock (dowelled, glued with Titebond III).The other/smaller islands are from one piece.5 years ago I made a smaller island set from cherry andfinished it with pure tung oil and had no problems with the transition from dryto humid air.No cracks, splits orexpansion-related damage.

I don’t particularly like the look of tung on walnut, as Ilike the way an oil based poly brings out the varied streaks and brassy blondesfrom the sapwood.

My question is: If I do an oil based poly at home in the dryair (front and back), can I expect thefinish hold up once it is introduced to the humidity?Do any of you suppose it might crack, peel orfail in any way?

What might be my best finishing option?

Thanks!

Assuming this will be indoors and not exposed to lots of direct light or rain, it should be totally fine.

I should have specified – indoors, no direct sunlight, noexposure to nature’s elements.The only “elements”it’ll see will be periods of a/c use (drying the air), and then periods without (increasing humidity).