Thread: Upgrade dj-20 with spiral?

Upgrade dj-20 with spiral?

I have an opportunity to upgrade my DJ-20 jointer to a spiral cutter head, the T10126 from Grizzly. I had planned on saving for the Byrd cutter but there is a deal lurking locally on a new T10126. Same number of cutters, but as everyone knows I’m sure, a slightly different design. Can anyone comment on the T10126 vs the Byrd cutter? We’re talking about half the price so it’s worth the thought...

I've got the Byrd on my planer, and I like it a lot. Would like to upgrade my jointer, more because I hate changing knives than anything. When I first put the head on the planer, i'd have only done a Byrd on the jointer a) to keep only one type of spare cutter on hand and b) because I hadn't considered my processing. Now, 4 or 5 years later, I'd consider the Grizzly heads at even a marginal difference in cost. First off, I just haven't had to change cutters (I've broken two--my fault, and it should have been more each time). Secondly, I don't use my jointer as a finishing machine--I square an edge and a face, then the planer and saws take over for dimensioning. Maybe just my attitude, but i'm thinking my jointer needs to be capable of flattening a face and squaring an edge--without shredding figured wood.

If I had any skill in setting knives so they would be on the mark and it took less than half a day...i'd be good with the straight knives. I'm not there and I don't get enough shop time to be patient enough to learn. Again, no expert and just a hobbyist--so your mileage may vary. (after you get that head and install it, i'd be more than happy to have you ship your DJ-20 to me for testing and evaluation. it will take a few years, but I promise not to charge you for my time!!)

At half off--buy it.
    earl

Check the price on replacment inserts, iirc Grizzly's were a lot more expensive than ones for a Byrd head.

Ed

I have a Byrd in my jointer and a Grizzly in my Planer. I can't tell the difference in cut quality. There was a link shared a while back that had a source for replacement cutters for the Grizzly at a much cheaper price. If I can find it I will post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a Byrd in my jointer and a Grizzly in my Planer. I can't tell the difference in cut quality. There was a link shared a while back that had a source for replacement cutters for the Grizzly at a much cheaper price. If I can find it I will post it.
    Same here, not worth worrying about they are both good.

Thanks all. I will see if I can put the deal together.

If you’ve got the cash, go for it.

My opinion is a spiral head in the jointer doesn’t add much of anything besides not having to set standard jointer blade knives. If my jointer tears out a little with straight knives, it doesn’t matter since it will go through my planer anyway, so the planer would be the only machine that would really need a spiral head.

I also replaced the bearings with the highest quality ones I could get locally. The old ones where not bad to my knowledge but I like woodworking and not working on machines so I figured I'd open it up once.
    Last edited by Steve Roxberg; 12-17-2017 at 2:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've used them side by side and saw no difference in the end result.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler