Thread: Pistachio Bowl

Pistachio Bowl

No, pistachio does not grow in Minnesota. I don't even know what it looks like. The bowls are white oak, and used to serve pistachios. The bottom bowl has a pedestal in the middle sized to fit tight in the recess I used to turn the top bowl. Put the nuts in the top bowl, and as you eat the shells go in the bottom bowl. They have been very popular.

pistachio bowl.jpg

Neat idea, and the typical grain pattern of White Oak looks great!!

That's very clever Paul!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good looking project on a tough wood to turn, at least it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    The bowls are white oak, and used to serve pistachios. ...They have been very popular.
    You had me fooled! When I read the title my first thought was to ask whether the bowl turned from Pistachio could be used to hold Pistachios. Now I wonder if a bowl for pistachios would be popular if made from poplar.

Nice design and turnings. I told My Lovely Bride about it and now she wants one for next week, darn you. Since this is your fault and I don't have time to make one I'll send you my mailing address.

Oak in general seems to take a back seat with turners but I like it. (Anyone within reasonable driving distance who wants to try white oak please come with a truck. I have piles of logs up to 30" in diameter.)

JKJ

It is a very nice looking combo, but I would think that you will need to limit the nut level in the main bowl or the shell will easily overflow the bottom bowl.

The spilt shells seem to take up a bit more space, so with the next one the bottom bowl may want to have a bit more open space for the shells. Then you can fill that main bowl with enough must to have a good snack and not over fill the waste holder by the time you are done.

Merry Christmas

It may not be obvious in the photo but the bottom bowl is quite a bit larger and deeper than the top bowl. It was thoroughly tested by my kids and grandson's this weekend. On previous nut bowls the opening between bowls was an issue. This one has the pedestal 1/4 inch above the rim of the bottom bowl and the bottom bowl is 7/8 inch wider than the top.

These have been discussed at my house. The original that we saw was square. I told my wife I could make one but it had to be round.

Do the bowls come apart or are they permanently attached to each other?

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Butler View Post
    It is a very nice looking combo, but I would think that you will need to limit the nut level in the main bowl or the shell will easily overflow the bottom bowl.

The spilt shells seem to take up a bit more space, so with the next one the bottom bowl may want to have a bit more open space for the shells. Then you can fill that main bowl with enough must to have a good snack and not over fill the waste holder by the time you are done.

Merry Christmas
    Ha, you could make one like this, lots of room for all the nut shells that will fit in the top in the bottom level, even when that top cup is a good size all by itself , made in one piece 17” D

One piece double bowl.jpg Silver Maple.jpg
    Have fun and take care

On mine the bowls come apart. I did have a few complaints when I did not make the fit between the pedestal of the lower bowl and the recess in the upper bowl tight enough. the smaller the bowl the more critical that connection becomes.

David, a photo of a square nut bowl is where I started. A friend brought it to church and suggested that it would look good round. I made him one, and several people asked for similar bowls.