Thread: Dewalt 733 Type 1 Planer 'stuttering'

Dewalt 733 Type 1 Planer 'stuttering'

'Stuttering' - While feeding a board through the planer, the board pauses for a moment, the cutter blades dig a very fine notch on the board and then it starts feeding again, only to pause a few inches (or a foot or more) later and repeat. The distance between these 'stutters' isn't regular and are barely noticeable though obviously not disreable. Blades are recently sharpened. This started while planing hickory, taking off about 1/32" at a time, but also happens with pine which I ran as a test. Appreciate any guidance as to where I ought to look first.
    Thanks

The first thing I would try is cleaning the feed rollers (mineral spirits) and the tables (mineral spirts or denatured alcohol), then waxing the table with paste wax (I use Johnson's as I know it has no additives--especially silicone which is present in most car waxes). Make sure the planer is UNPLUGGED before starting. That might fix the problem. (the pine might actually make it worse due to the resins--I try really hard to avoid using it!!)
    earl

Yes, clean the feed rollers and wax the table.

Thank you both