Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting padlocks

Cutting padlocks

Sort of a silly question, but I thought I'd check here before I do something stupid.

I need to cut some 3/8" Masterlocks. My folks lost the keys to the locks that close access doors to crawl spaces under their house.

I'm assuming I can just take an angle grinder and cut-off wheel to the locks, but wondering if there are any important tips and tricks to this. I've used grinders a lot but less for metal cutting...

A bolt cutter will work faster and easier than an angle grinder but doesn't have many other uses if you have to buy it.

For 3/8" locks you will probably need a set of bolt cutters with at least 36" arms. A grinding wheel will fit any size lock
    I own three sets of bolt cutters 36", 24" and 12" sizes. I rarely cut locks but I do cut a lot of flat bar and round rods when I fabricate sign hangers. Its a lot easier to handle a 20 foot length of material when its cut down to a smaller size.

I'd have to purchase the bolt cutters...whereas I have the grinder and wheels.

IMO, the angle cutter is much better than bolt cutters.Many locks are hardened and you need a monster bolt cutter.The cutting wheel on an angle grinder is better AND easier.The only thing to watch out for are sparks from the cutting wheel which would preclude its being used in some circumstances..

Blog Entries
    A bolt cutter can work, but I’d recommend a grinder. I broke my 24” bolt cutters a while back trying to cut some hardened steel.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    IMO, the angle cutter is much better than bolt cutters.Many locks are hardened and you need a monster bolt cutter.The cutting wheel on an angle grinder is better AND easier.The only thing to watch out for are sparks from the cutting wheel which would preclude its being used in some circumstances..
    Excellent, thanks Fred. Now what would you say those “circumstances” are...?

I've drilled out master locks with a1/2 bit and a corded drill. Drill right where the key goes.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I've drilled out master locks with a1/2 bit and a corded drill. Drill right where the key goes.
    A 3/8 drill should do it. You do not need to drill the entire cylinder out just disengage the lock at the back end. If you were able to be perfectly centered at the back end a 1/4 might be big enough.
    Bill

If it's just a run of the mill master padlock wrench it, they aren't hardened and break easily. Here's video, a couple 12" adjustable wrenches work too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

The second option is pick it. No, really, padlocks are easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHclcJZex4

Both options are free

Mike

Anywhere that a spark can cause a fire. I use mine in my shop but always set up a piece of plywood so I can direct the spark stream directly onto the concrete floor. If you are doing it in the house I would keep a spay bottle of water handy.

If the 4 diget number on the bottom of the lock is still readable a locksmith can get or make new ones to fit. Easier and likely cheaper than cutting and buying new locks.

An angle grinder will cut a bicycle U-lock in less than a minute, so I would think a Masterlock would go fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post

Anywhere that a spark can cause a fire. I use mine in my shop but always set up a piece of plywood so I can direct the spark stream directly onto the concrete floor. If you are doing it in the house I would keep a spay bottle of water handy.
    In this case the locks are on the outside of the house (painted siding). I'll clear away any dried brush nearby, and dead leaves and such, but they do kind of live in the woods. Would this change your approach?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    If the 4 diget number on the bottom of the lock is still readable a locksmith can get or make new ones to fit. Easier and likely cheaper than cutting and buying new locks.
    And like a ray of sunshine through the clouds the voice of reason...
    I really should look into that!