Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: using a table saw to cut 1/4 drywall sheet into 4"x4" squares? any other suggestions?

Blog Entries
    My go-to for this unusual project would be a band saw as previously mentioned. Very thin blade means less dust and the bearings are a longer distance from the cutting action than a TS, which IMO would be a terrible choice. I don't think a very fine blade would be necessary, certainly not a knife blade.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    For 1/4" drywall I would just use a sharp utility knife and a straight edge. You might need to run the blade along the cut line twice to cut all the way through. Should be faster and safer than using a table saw for cutting such small pieces.
    Lee, if you can cut all the way through 1/2" drywall in any number of reasonable knife passes, you are a better man than I.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    The dust will probably kill the bearings and motor on the saw.
    Try a drywall cut out tool and a straight edge. And a really good vacuum.
    Good luck.
    Just use a wet saw!

4. At job sites I find myself grabbing my multitool (oscillating saw) quite often to cut drywall. Cuts straight, easy to handle, but does kick up some dust. I have also found many other uses for this tool. It is incredibly versatile. Get one with the Starlock blade fastening system. I have gone through three prior to my current one because the little teeth that holds the blade on break off