Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: using a table saw to cut 1/4 drywall sheet into 4"x4" squares? any other suggestions?

using a table saw to cut 1/4 drywall sheet into 4"x4" squares? any other suggestions?

I have been trying to cut this sheet of 1/4" drywall into 4"x4" squares and not only is it going very slow, but the cuts are not coming out very clean, even with a fresh razor blade. The project will require hundreds of squares to be cut into the future, so I am trying to determine a method that will do efficient clean cuts.

I have never cut drywall on a table saw and am not sure if there is a blade to do this. If anyone has had success with this, please let me know.

FWIW, I have an enclosed chute under the table around the blade for dust collection as well as an overarm-like port above the blade. I am not so concerned with dust on this as much as speed and clean cut.

thanks,
    DW

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The dust will probably kill the bearings and motor on the saw.
    Try a drywall cut out tool and a straight edge. And a really good vacuum.
    Good luck.

I doubt that is a good idea.

Why do you need a perfect cut? Usually it does not matter...

Anyway, if you need a perfect cut, for whatever reason, I doubt you will be happy with using a table saw to make it happen.

Maybe if it is a junk saw and you use it outside it might work. AT minimum you would need to use a diamond blade, or maybe, and this is maybe, a carbide tipped blade might work.

I think it is all about your need for a perfect cut. Is this really necessary? If so, and if you have an old saw you can use outside, why not try it? I probably would, but not with my normal woodworking equipment.

By the way, I used a diamond blade in a circular saw to cut some plaster, which is thicker than drywall, and the dust was terrible. Really unpleasant, even with a face shield and good respirator.

I would never do such a thing in my shop, even with dust collection.

edit: I see you said four inch squares... My mind was thinking four foot squares, as I have been doing drywall recently. Still... Anyway, you can buy a handsaw for drywall at home depot that might work if you take your time and work slowly. Also, Harbor freight sells a small saw for doing tile work that might work for you using a diamond blade. Not too expensive and works well for the money spend, when doing tile work as a homeowner...

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 12-14-2017 at 4:23 PM. Reason: ADD A THOUGHT
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

thanks bill. The squares I need are only 4"x4" and are for a teenage art project I am trying to make. The pieces will be handled by people that I think would appreciate a clean square cut rather than an unclean one. Hope that makes sense.

The dust from cutting sheetrock with a table saw will be bad. Can you use some other sheet material? Plywood would be much more amenable to cutting into 4" squares on a table saw. Or masonite.

Bad idea.

Straight edge and a sharp util knife, snap off and clean up edge with a surform.

Or I'd look for a different material for the project.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have had very good success cutting friable materials such as this with a bandsaw. Very fine tooth blade, or even a knife-edge blade (hard to find but they're out there, or can be made), start by cutting 4" strips against a fence then cut the squares out the other direction. Dust collection will still be essential but not nearly as bad as with a table saw. I have only seen but not tried cutting drywall with a table saw and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Probably want to avoid gypsum dust getting into your table saw innards. Utility knife and straight edge is the way to go.

Jon,

How long would a fine tooth blade last you when doing this?

DW

Dustin this discussion reminds me of the time my Dad wanted me to help him with some drywall. When I pulled into his driveway here was this hairy old guy with no shirt and his pouch with suspenders cutting drywall with his skilsaw. Huge cloud of dust, ( wish I had a picture). Scott has the best advice of how to cut it. Do you have to use drywall? As others have stated some other material would be easier. I personally would not cut it with any shop machine,good luck Mike.

Thanks everyone. Yes the material must be drywall. I can score both sides and snap it but the cut is just a little too rough. I was thinking of trying a rasp but it adds more time than I would like.

I would hate to clean up the table saw and DC filters might be wrecked but it I were to use a TS I would get a few 7 1/4" thin kerf skill saw blades. Less dust with the 1/16" wide blades and you can either toss them when done or get exchange blades. I wonder if renting a brick saw or tile saw using it outside with the construction blades might be better. You can hose it off before returning it.

There was someone that used a track saw to cut strips for a big commercial job . He just used his track saw with dust a dust collector and stacked several sheets and cut away . The cut edge was really good looking and flat .

Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    Jon,

How long would a fine tooth blade last you when doing this?

DW
    A long time, gyp is soft.

I'd be inclined to see if it could be cut with a CNC laser cutter or water jet cutter. If either of those would work, it would likely give the cleanest cut with the least amount of dust. A Google search indicates that a track saw with a dust extractor can work fairly well. Maybe a reciprocating saw or handheld jigsaw with a drywall blade and a straight edge. Maybe a Rotozip with a straight edge. The abrasive dust may kill any power tool you use for the cutting. I like the idea of stacking a couple of sheets and cutting them all at once. It's not easy stuff to get clean cuts on. You also might see what size sheets of drywall are available by special order. If you could buy it in smaller sizes that might save you some work.