Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: using a table saw to cut 1/4 drywall sheet into 4"x4" squares? any other suggestions?

Even if you cut it clean; open edged squares will create a lot of dust during handling.

May I ask what specifically this is for? Perhaps there is a similar, easier-to-handle choice of material.

That being said, if you must do this, I would use a straight edge, score. Snap away from the score, then score the other side which will present a crease.
    The rough gypsum edges can be run against a block, clamped to the bench that has been faced with 150 grit sandpaper.

Hardiplank?
    Cardboard cuts pretty nice on the table saw. Well that is to say preschoolers never complained about the cut quality.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-14-2017 at 8:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Doubt you can do this yourself but an high pressure stream of water that is computer controlled would do this. I know there is equipment out there but don't know what it's called or where you could find one. Looked into one years ago to cut a food stream out of a WP extruder.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin wassner View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yes the material must be drywall. I can score both sides and snap it but the cut is just a little too rough. I was thinking of trying a rasp but it adds more time than I would like.
    Not a rasp, a Surform plane. Every drywall hanger I've ever known has the pocket version in his tool pouch, I still have my old one from back in the day. Clamp the long one in a vise, one pass on each side of the square and you're done. It won't give you that Forrest crosscut blade quality but it won't have big bumps either.

Honestly, the more I think about it why not cut it on the table saw? You say you have good dust collection so that eliminates that issue as long as you can clean out the filters afterwards. Gyp is very soft so I wouldn't be concerned about abrasive damage, all the bearings in your saw are shielded anyway(if they weren't they'd fill up with sawdust). You'll get fast and accurate results. So why not? Just because it's not commonly done doesn't mean it can't.

I'd suggest using the thinnest blade you can find to cut down on dust as much as possible, something like the old HSS planer blades we used for plywood back before carbide became affordable. The thin plate and minimal kerf keeps dust down and will help with the filter cleaning afterwards.

Just don't use Type-X gyp, the fiberglass in it makes everything I just said irrelevant. It'll eat any blade you use and do lasting damage over time to the exposed mechanics in your saw. Even solid carbide router bits don't last long cutting fiberglass.

My gut reaction to your post was "OMG, don't even think about doing that!". I spent years in the commercial drywall industry, we cut with a razor knife and smoothed with a Surform when we had to because that was the most cost-effective way to do it. Our objective was to hang a hundred+ sheets every day, the rough edges either got covered up with trim or taped over. Your application is light-years different and , the more I think about it the more I see a justifiable usage situation.

I say go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 12-14-2017 at 8:17 PM.

Cast them in plaster of Paris?

I also would not cut drywall on a tablesaw because of the dust and damage to the saw and blade. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

But maybe out in the driveway with a tile saw (no water of course) with a diamond blade?

I would consider a RotoZip tool. https://www.rotozip.com/en_US/web/ro...ontrol-any-cut.

... let's go for the crazy one :

How about a multi-function tool (Fein Multimaster and clones) attached to a "carrier" that rides along a straight edge. The fine tooth blade cuts relatively rapidly; does not generate too much dust; can cut two sheets at a time; should give you a pretty good edge. Not as fast as a knife.

I second the vote for trying a Rotozip tool with a jig, or a trim router with a 1/4" or smaller spiral bit, maybe doing the work outside where the dust is less of an issue. In fact, if you have a trim router, I see no reason why you couldn't buy a 1/8" rotozip drywall cutting bit and get a collet adapter so you can use it in your router.

Get a worktable together, make a plywood jig to the final size you need, use a piece of foam insulation board for a backer, and go to town cutting out the squares.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 12-14-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Haven't seen any suggestions for using an oscillating saw, the so-called multi-tool. HF sells a nice variable speed oscillating saw for just a few bucks. The advantage compared to the other suggestions is that you can use a very thin blade along with a straight edge guide. Quarter inch dry wall means that the cuts don't have to be deep. Use a foam board to rest the dry wall. The semi-circular disc blade can be used to make nice straight cuts.

Oops, just saw that Jacques also suggested the same approach. I guess I like my idea, and his, even better.
    Last edited by Floyd Mah; 12-15-2017 at 1:59 AM.

Try a jig saw. Stack two sheets and use a straight edge. I've used a jigsaw to cut holes in drywall and the edges of the cut are smooth.

I use an old blade on my tracksaw to cut drywall. The edge is clean in the gypsum but the paper is a little fuzzed. I don't do it a lot but I think the good dust collection of the track saw should help it not be damaged. I am also not sure that gypsum dust is worse for a saw than sawdust. I also don't think it's terribly hard on the blade but I don't want the gypsum dust on my woodworking projects - so I use an old blade.

thanks for the responses everyone. I now have some experimenting to do...

Thanks everyone. Yes the material must be drywall. I can score both sides and snap it but the cut is just a little too rough. I was thinking of trying a rasp but it adds more time than I would like.
    I'd probably score and snap then take my 6" belt sander outside and sand the edges. I haven't tried sanding paper-clad drywall but if fraying was a problem perhaps painting the paper first with sander sealer or something would help.

A bandsaw might be better than a rotating saw.

Too bad it has to be drywall. I've cut similar squares of 1/2" radiata pine plywood for art classes and lightly sanded the sharp edges with the belt sander. Probably lighter weight than drywall. Curious, is drywall specified as a project requirement?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I have been trying to cut this sheet of 1/4" drywall into 4"x4" squares
    For 1/4" drywall I would just use a sharp utility knife and a straight edge. You might need to run the blade along the cut line twice to cut all the way through. Should be faster and safer than using a table saw for cutting such small pieces.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute