Thread: LV Combo Plane, 10,000 mile check in?

LV Combo Plane, 10,000 mile check in?

Hello all,

There's been much talk of the new LV Combo plane recently, though much of it right after release. In the spirit of a car review after some of new car smell has worn off, I'm curious about folks' impression after some real world experience.

FWIW, I anticipate using for plowing grooves (would replace a Record 043), dadoes, and T&G in that order. I don't do much with fancy molding profiles. In other words, the primary new capacity would be dadoes.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is rehashing an old topic.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Chris,
    I haven't used it a real lot but have plowed out quite a few grooves, even plowed grooves in 5 ply, 1/4 inch thick plywood for dividers with no problem. I purchased it when it first came out to replace my old Stanley No. 50. I don't have any negative comments, yes there is a learning curve that was gone over and over about a month ago but I wouldn't hesitate a second to do it again. It's a beautiful plane, handles vary well and does exactly what they say it will. Can't ask for anything more than that. Just a suggestion, if you are going to plow grooves for things like plywood drawer bottoms, as an example, I suggest you get a couple of metric blades, as some plywood is now being manufactured in MM which you probably know. Good luck with your choice.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    I suggest you get a couple of metric blades, as some plywood is now being manufactured in MM which you probably know. Good luck with your choice.
    When it is listed as 15/32" it is likely metric.

Sometimes you can find metric blades for the Record version of the #45.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Really hoping to hear some real world experiences. Wondering if I can get the combo and skip the plow and skew rabbet planes.

Kurt,
    Just my 2 cents. Of course there are always other ways to do things, but the LV skewed rabbet is pretty hard to beat when using it for it's intended purpose.
    Chet

I agree with Chet....

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Really hoping to hear some real world experiences. Wondering if I can get the combo and skip the plow and skew rabbet planes.
    Hi Kurt,

I have all three of the planes and I have to agree with Chet, you can't beat the Skew Rabbet for rabbeting. You could skip the small plow if you are getting the large plow though.