Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st NE bowl - question

The question is, is a divorce or big lathe cheaper??? You can always buy a few new tools now and then to train the Bride and sooth your ego.

Thanks for the comments. From what I've read on prior posts, for finishing I was going to do danish oil (including the bark to stabilize it). Does that sound ok? Comments/advice welcome as always.
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. From what I've read on prior posts, for finishing I was going to do danish oil (including the bark to stabilize it). Does that sound ok? Comments/advice welcome as always.
    tom
    I never oil the bark, as it will soak a lot of oil up and that will take a very long time to harden up IMO.

What I normally do is to very carefully soak thin CA into the exact cambium location to fasten the bark better to the wood.

My finish is Polymerized Tung Oil, (I get it at Lee Valley), and wipe a couple of coats on the wood only.

natural edge.jpg
    Have fun and take care

I also use thin super glue on the bark. When I have formed the desired outside shape, I will soak the rim surface with Titebond thin super glue. Upon cutting the interior to below the rim I will stop the lathe and soak the inside of the rim bark. This process helps to retain the bark when finishing the bottom cuts. I usually turn my natural edge bowls to 5/16” or less and microwave them. Some will separate the bark from the candium layer so I use 5 minute epoxy with brown chalk mixed in. Carpenter’s line chalk works well. Mix black and red and the result is a dark brown.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Well, this is after 3 coats of DO then wiped down with 000 steel wool. It feels really smooth without any ridges but the DO made it a little yellowish. I read on a prior post that an initial coat of shellac will prevent that (maybe next time I'll try that).

I tried a cadaver piece of bark but had a really hard time getting a good fit as the top of the bowl was not flat at that area and I didn't dare smooth out the actual bowl. I finally got it pretty good but after gluing it in it seems to have moved as the wood/bark still wasn't fully dry (you can see it at the top right of the first photo) but I think it looks better with it and really isn't noticeable unless you look closely....I'll just give it to my mom for Christmas - she always thought all of my hideous childhood projects were great!!

Comments/advice/suggestions always appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!
    tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Well, this is after 3 coats of DO then wiped down with 000 steel wool. It feels really smooth without any ridges but the DO made it a little yellowish. I read on a prior post that an initial coat of shellac will prevent that (maybe next time I'll try that).

I tried a cadaver piece of bark but had a really hard time getting a good fit as the top of the bowl was not flat at that area and I didn't dare smooth out the actual bowl. I finally got it pretty good but after gluing it in it seems to have moved as the wood/bark still wasn't fully dry (you can see it at the top right of the first photo) but I think it looks better with it and really isn't noticeable unless you look closely....I'll just give it to my mom for Christmas - she always thought all of my hideous childhood projects were great!!

Comments/advice/suggestions always appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!
    tom
    if there are gaps I mix up some 5 min epoxy with brown chalk mixed in. Once set I power sand the sides of the bark to match the thickness of the rim wall.
    Member Illiana Woodturners