Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st NE bowl - question

1st NE bowl - question

This is my first attempt at a NE bowl (just over 9" from a walnut log) - as I was turning I was trying to be careful but a small chunk of bark broke off (seen in the first photo at the bottom). what do you do when that happens? Is it ruined or can I strip all the bark off (though likely wouldn't look great).

Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Other comments/critiques are welcome. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

It happens and you have several options. Glue it back on if you can find the piece. As rough as walnut bark is you might paint or otherwise darken the rim where the piece is missing and it might not be noticeable. I have done this several times. Strip all of the bark and darken the rim. It is a good looking bowl and I wouldn't be too concerned about the missing piece.

I often coat the joint between the bark and the sap wood with either shellac or super glue before hollowing out the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    This is my first attempt at a NE bowl (just over 9" from a walnut log) - as I was turning I was trying to be careful but a small chunk of bark broke off (seen in the first photo at the bottom). what do you do when that happens? Is it ruined or can I strip all the bark off (though likely wouldn't look great).
    Any advice on how to avoid this in the future? Other comments/critiques are welcome. Thanks
    Wow, a pretty nice job, especially for that lathe and more-especial as your first try!

Did you find the piece of bark? Lots of people glue the piece back in the spot. Some go so far as to cut a piece of bark from elsewhere to fit and glue that on. Some people will apply thin CA glue as the turning progresses to try to keep the bark.

For the future: Use wood from a tree cut when it is dormant in the dead of the winter. Evidently something in or between the inner bark/cambium layer is softer and wetter and weaker during the growing season and gets tougher in the winter.
    Google will happily provide plenty of reading: https://www.preservation-solutions.c...ark-stay-wood/

JKJ

My vote is to leave it as is and finish it. You have done a sweet piece Thomas.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Really nice piece--either way it will look nice--no rules here.

Thumbs up

Nice balance.

My vote is with David Delo - leave it as is and finish it. Well done, it looks beautiful.

It happens..........If you find the missing piece I would CA it back on, if not just leave it the way it is and maybe darken the area that is missing.
    I can find a flaw in just about anything I turn but most people never see it or think it was done like that on purpose.
    Nice piece, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Nice job. I've always found the piece and glued it back. I've even glued pieces to build up.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

As others have said gluing on the piece is the first choice but if you can't find it gently soften the area to make it look a little more natural then 'paint' it with a black felt pen. Hard to see the difference when completed.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I would go and see my cutoffs, If I can’t find the broken out piece, take a piece of the bark and cut and sand it down to a close fit, maybe square the broken out spot some for an easier fit.

I know it would bother me every time I’d look at the piece that I didn’t try to fix it, it’s just me I suppose
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    I would go and see my cutoffs, If I can’t find the broken out piece, take a piece of the bark and cut and sand it down to a close fit, maybe square the broken out spot some for an easier fit.

I know it would bother me every time I’d look at the piece that I didn’t try to fix it, it’s just me I suppose
    I’ve done the same as Leo. I call it cadaver bark. Find a section that matches the grain pattern (end grain bark or side grain bark) carve the rim shape to match the candium layer of the missing area. Use medium or thick super glue to glue it on leaving it proud on the interior and exterior. Sand it down to match the thickness. I have a YouTube video posted that titled “cutting a nature end bowl cleanly”. I lose the bark in the video and talk about ways to replace it. You can search it under “Windy City Woodturners”
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Like Bob and Leo, I've had good luck with "cadaver" bark (good analogy, Bob). I've even had good luck gluing in the light colored section between the cambium and the outer bark. The repairs are hard to find by even me, who knows what happened.
    To the original poster: nice looking bowl.

Thanks for all the responses/comments. I searched but couldn't find the piece. I tried gluing another piece in but it didn't stick but the glue darkened the area and it blends a lot better. Maybe I'll try a better fitting cadaver piece if I can make it look right. It was a lot of fun to turn....I think I need a bigger lathe!

... It was a lot of fun to turn....I think I need a bigger lathe!
    Oh, no. Admitting that is the first step towards ruin. Next thing you know it will be walls full of tools, drawers full of chucks, a wood collection addiction, multiple chain saws, sawmill, truck, trailer and bobcat, a bigger shop, and a sad lonely TV that never gets watched. (I know all this from experience )

I wasn't turning long before I came to the same realization. When, not if, you get your new lathe I recommend holding on to the mini along with one chuck to fit. That lathe is perfect to haul places and to loan. I know that from experience too!

Don' forget to post photos of the next one!

JKJ