Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary Table for Hair Salon

Contemporary Table for Hair Salon

Had a client show me this pic:

A table that they would like me to build. But.... They want the top to be brushed aluminum (laminate) and the bottom to be wood. The wood will be stained black.

The bottom of the base are two 1 5/16" thick boards glued together.
    One has a 51º angle and the other has a 39º angle on it.

The uprights of the legs are three 1 5/16" thick boards glued together.

I cut the boards on the bandsaw to get the curve on it. I pre-cut the angles on the blanks before I cut the curves on them so I wouldn't have to fight with the angle.

For the test assemble, I used two 3" screws so I could figure out the angle of the X so I can dado a half lap so they are flush with each other, but that's not until tomorrow.

After sanding a slight curve on the angle section of the upright to get rid of the part that hung over and give it a nice blended look, I screwed it off. This is the leg set that splays in.

Here is the leg set that splays out.

And to find the correct angle the two of them needed to have to form the X and show up proper for the overhang I cut a pc of cardboard the size of the tabletop. I'll draw lines on the intersection and cut that area out with a dado blade so they are half lapped and flush with each other.

Very interesting interaction with the legs as you walk around the table.

Milled up the half lap, 31.5º for the dado angle. Used a sled with an angled fence to cut the dadoes.

Fits nice

Used West System Epoxy and 2 screws to put the legs onto the base. You can still see the epoxy, it's wet. It'll get sanded off.

Top view is interesting. It won't be seen When the table is on it.

After the epoxy cures I'll cut the top angles. The base will go against the tablesaw fence which will be set at 34 1/2". Then I'll just push it through and it'll make a parallel cut to the base which will be the perfect angle for the particle board to sit on flush.

Stained them black and put the 1st coat of clear on. I threw in a bit of black dye for the first coat. Hope it's not to black.

Picked up the top today. Put a support on top of the legs and put the table on the legs. Looks nice. And it's stable. I always worry about stability of a table that doesn't have 4 legs in each corner.

And here it is installed ready for use. By the time I was leaving they had clients using the table.

Blog Entries
    Leo gets the coolest projects. Another winner hands-down.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Leo, always impressed with your craftsmanship! Thank you bringing us along. Patrick

That's a nice fit with those chairs. The base is engaging by itself, but blends in so well with the chair angles that the top will seem,from some angles, to hover. They need to get a photo with the staff all seated there in Star Trek suits....those pajamas are still made!

Now that's some advanced woodworking. Very cool table.
    Aj

Very well done!

Could you tell us more about the top? I priced out a brushed aluminum sheet for a client and was surprised how expensive it was. Thanks

The top is a brushed aluminum laminate. It's 28"x 96". Cost $525 + tax. I try not to do laminate, but I can if forced. I think the laminate sheet itself was $90.

Wowsa! What a great project and certainly one that required a bit of mental processing to pull off. Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well I've learned something today. Thanks for the photo tour! Very cool build.

What did you learn?

15. I wondered how you were going to level the legs so that the top sat evenly. It seemed like a difficult thing to measure given the angles, but it never occurred to me to run the base against the fence since both leg pieces essentially share the same "floor". It's the little things that get me... Thanks for taking the time to explain the process!