Thread: Oak cones? That's new.

Blog Entries

Oak cones? That's new.

This motivational image was clearly made by someone who doesn't get out much. I thought it would be a good laugh for you folks. A friend shared it and I had to point out where PINE cones come from.
    IMG_2754.JPG

They probably think Acorns grow on pine trees............

Who said Oaks don't come from pine cones?? Fake news!

It's really not that much different than the red oak bowl I saw labeled "Cherry". Maybe oaks somewhere grow from cherry pits.

My Lovely Bride and I both laughed out loud at that image. To look on the positive side, at least the spelling and grammar look ok. And the color, design and balance are nice. In today's world who's to quibble about a little thing like botanical consistency.

JKJ

I'm going with it being deliberate. With an acorn no one notices; with a cone you talk about it.

I mean; no one could be that stupid, could they?

It's even worse...when pine cones are open the seeds have fallen out. Gonna give them the benefit of the doubt,possible that there was an acorn stuck in the pine cone.

Naaah! Everybody knows acorns come from pig poop.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    This was shared originally on Facebook. I did ask myself if maybe they made the "mistake" just to get more people commenting. ... it's either that, or they work in a hi-rise in some big city, and rarely ever see real trees other than off in the distance from the window by their cubicle. I bet their cubicle has a bunch of outdoor pictures on the wall because that's what they dream of as they sit at their tiny, cramped desk and bang out erroneous stuff to post on FB.

...sorry, I have a vivid imagination.

Do Pinoaks have Acones?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

A few months back, I saw burrs that looked a lot like little cones on some kind of deciduous tree. Still don't know what kind of tree it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    A few months back, I saw burrs that looked a lot like little cones on some kind of deciduous tree. Still don't know what kind of tree it was.
    Could it have been tulip poplar? The seed pod looks somewhat like a cone

tulip_poplar_seed_pod.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Perhaps they found the pine cones under and oak tree and assumed they came from that tree.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I mean; no one could be that stupid, could they?
    do you remember "chicken" of the sea Simpson ?

Thanks John. I have tulip poplars all over the farm. These "cones" were only about an inch high, there were several per branch and the bark was smooth and light gray. I saw three or four of them along the rail right of way, while on a railroad excursion from Pottsville, PA to Jim Thorpe. I did look through several tree keys and did not find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Thanks John. I have tulip poplars all over the farm. These "cones" were only about an inch high, there were several per branch and the bark was smooth and light gray. I saw three or four of them along the rail right of way, while on a railroad excursion from Pottsville, PA to Jim Thorpe. I did look through several tree keys and did not find them.
    Ah, perhaps an Alder then.

This from a nature blog, New Hamphshire:

"The alder is interesting in that it is a deciduous tree, yet it has cones like an evergreen. The cones are the female flower containing the seed, and they remain on the tree long after releasing their seeds, which is why they are so noticable in the fall and winter when all the leaves are gone. This mature cone is on the same tree, left over from 2012."

alder_seed_cone_green.JPG alder_seed_cone_brown.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alnus_glutinosa

More pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=alder+tree+fruit

JKJ