Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe Dust/Chip collection

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    the HF is underpowered for your setup
    As near as I can tell he never said what size he has, so are you saying you feel they *all* are?

Blog Entries
    When I bought mine they only carried a 2 hp....but 2 model numbers.
    If they carry larger units, my apologies to OP.

My HF dust collector is the 2 HP model. I just finished running 18 feet of 6" metal duct. I still need to construct a large hood of some sort. I have a Big Gulp but am leaning towards cutting a 30 gallon plastic drum as a shroud and plumbing it with 6" pipe. the Big Gulp is only 4". If I go with the Big Gulp and plumb with 4", the drop will only be about 30". I still need to figure out a way to take the 6" into the DC which has a 4" wye attached to the inlet which is 6". I will probably change that out with 6, but will need to figure out how to plumb the rest of my tools.
    Again, thanks for all the comments.
    Steve

I use a smart phone gooseneck holder like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Arm-Go...53.m1431.l2649 to hold a cut up milk carton as my dust hood. The milk carton is taped to the phone holder along with the collection hose. I can clip the holder where it is most beneficial for me.

As far as actual 'measured' air flow, there can be huge differences in the brand names. A 2 hp DC from Harbor Freight is not the same as a 2 hp DC from Oneida or Clear View. Kind of like the difference between the old blue no name grinder from Woodcraft and my Baldor. Both were rated 3/4 hp, and the no name had a higher amp rating, but the Baldor is much stronger....

robo hippy