Thread: My next woodworking project, some steel too.....

My next woodworking project, some steel too.....

DSCF3226.jpg
    This is what I started with.......

This is where it is going.........DSCF3225.jpg

starting with a pre-built house? could you tell us the manufacture? Looks like a fun project. hunting cabin? I do like that part of Michigan, I grew up in Grand Rapids.

The house is being built by a steel company, Moran Ironworks, that is thinking of getting into housing. It has a steel structure and will be lifted into place with a crane.

It is inside a building right now, and was stopped when they saw how ugly it was. They called me in to see what I could do with it. So I made the model in the lower pic to better illustrate what I was thinking. Models are better with round projects. Its just in the rough phase right now, and I am tearing it back to the steel skeleton and starting over. the new roof will be a combination of steel and wood and will be set in place after the house is on its pod on site, and the two round dormers/bumpouts will be set with a crane as well as it is too big to move in one piece. We want it all to be set in one day once out of the building.

This house will be set on a 12'x12' pod and cantilever out in four directions, 22' the long way on each end. There is a massive steel structure. It will be set on a hillside so that the house is up in the trees with a catwalk going to top of the hill/parking area. There will be a catwalk all the way around the house for ease of maintenance and massive cool factor.

I am just now designing the interior, with the curve theme carried through to the inside. I will be building all of the curved cabinets, trim, furniture and curved pocket doors.

So no, its not a modular, although I can see how one would be confused looking at the original concept.

This is very exciting stuff, may be the house I have been waiting for all my career. And working inside in a heated well lit building is certainly a bonus, at least this time of year.