Thread: Filling voids in BB plywood

Filling voids in BB plywood

I'm curious what you folks use these days to fill voids in Baltic Birch plywood. I'll be finishing this bookrack I'm working on with General Finishes High Performance water based topcoat. I built some drawer pullouts for my wife's vanity and I used some of the fine sawdust with Titebond III (white). I can't say I thought this was unnoticeable. This time around I bought some Minwax wood putty at the local big box store. Put it on and then read the instructions - it doesn't dry to a hard finish and it's not a very good match either.

Thanks!
    Mike

I have never experienced voids in baltic birch ply.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I agree with George that voids in true BB is pretty unusual. There is a lot of "imposter" multi-ply birch floating around out there right now, however...I bought some recently (knowingly because of cost) for a shop project and am very disappointed with just how much "air" I've found inside. For my project, I'll probably just fill with spackle. If color mattered, I might do the same, but play with a little dye to get it colored well. For solid stock that will be left natural or dyed, I never use putty, etc. I fill with real slivers of wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I have never had a problem with voids in the 1/2" - 5X5 sheets of BB.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with George that voids in true BB is pretty unusual. There is a lot of "imposter" multi-ply birch floating around out there right now, however...I bought some recently (knowingly because of cost) for a shop project and am very disappointed with just how much "air" I've found inside. For my project, I'll probably just fill with spackle. If color mattered, I might do the same, but play with a little dye to get it colored well. For solid stock that will be left natural or dyed, I never use putty, etc. I fill with real slivers of wood.
    "...fill with real slivers of wood". Fantastic idea Jim! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I have never had a problem with voids in the 1/2" - 5X5 sheets of BB.
    This is what I'm using. I'm going to give the lumber distributor some grief. I mentioned to him when I bought this stuff that the last time I bought from them there were voids. He was surprised. When I said there weren't a lot he said "well, it can't be completely free of them but there shouldn't be many.". I've got half a dozen places to "fix" in a small book rack that measures 36"x30"x12" (WxHxD). One is 1/2"-1". All the others are less than 1/4". I was told this was the real BB ply.

Anyone else in Central Texas who buys from Fine Lumber have this problem with their BB?

There is a lot of imposter BB out there, especially if bought from the box stores. A good percentage of this stuff comes from China. I was working on a kitchen project last year and bought a 4 X 8 sheet. Ripped in into three pieces. When I picked up the middle piece it started flexing like it was waving at me.
    It honestly had a 18 by 36 inch void. Had someone bought it and not cut it up, they would have never known it. I took it back and the clerk at the store was a little snippy with me. She finally told me to go back and grab another off the pile. I told her no thanks, not from the same lot. Got a refund and went elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for impostor BB ply. I have never used the lower grades and so do not speak from experience with those. I use B/BB for show projects like school furniture and children's furniture. I use BB/BB for shop fixtures and structural components. I have never experienced voids in these grades.

BB Ply Grading Standards.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use iron on edge banding. Cheap and looks great.

I've found voids in the "genuine" BB plywood. Never too large, but still there on occasion, usually where there was a knot. I fill them with TimberMate Maple/Beech flavored wood filler. Works fine for me.

John

Blog Entries
    Was this BB in a 5X5 sheet?
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Was this BB in a 5X5 sheet?
    If your question was directed at me, yes, 5'x5' sheets.

John