Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Issue with a Fiber Laser Image

Weird Issue with a Fiber Laser Image

I usually test engrave on anodized aluminum blanks to make sure that I like what I see, and this is twice now, with 2 different images, that the bottom of the image bows upward. It throws off the whole thing. In addition, the top left lettering seems tilted inward just slightly. In my software, everything looks perfectly lined up, so this is really concerning.

Any ideas at all?

Bowed pic.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Looks like you need to adjust your quadrilaterals and pincushions-- F3 menu in EZcad-- it can be fun...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Looks like you need to adjust your quadrilaterals and pincushions-- F3 menu in EZcad-- it can be fun...
    Well, ‘aight, check this out, dawg. First of all, you throwin’ too many big words at me, and because I don’t understand them, I’m gonna take ’em as disrespect.

Sorry, that's the first thing to come to mind (40 Year Old Virgin quote).

Seriously though, you might as well have been speaking another language. I might have to call tech support because if I don't understand you, it's likely best for me not to mess with it.
    CorelDraw X7

Kev, is there a reason it would be doing this? I've looked for what you've suggested to mess with, but I'm not finding a whole lot on what exactly I need to try and do.
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Kev, is there a reason it would be doing this?
    Yup. Country of origin. Should have been setup and adjusted prior to shipping. Part of the reason they are so cheap to buy.

Just one one of the adjustments you’ll have to make. Kev has lead you to the right area. There are settings that control the skew and related settings. You’ll need to engrave tests and adjust until corrected.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yup. Country of origin. Should have been setup and adjusted prior to shipping. Part of the reason they are so cheap to buy.

Just one one of the adjustments you’ll have to make. Kev has lead you to the right area. There are settings that control the skew and related settings. You’ll need to engrave tests and adjust until corrected.
    Whoa now Scott! This bad boy is a USA product.

Bought it pre-owned though so maybe it got a little out of sorts in shipping, though it was packed like I saw with my Trotec. The image is only very slightly off on the outer edge, but when marking or engraving, I never even noticed it. It wasn't until I ran this test image on the outer limits of the lens that I noticed it.
    CorelDraw X7

My bad, Kev mentioned EZCAD, and that’s a knock off Chinese product of quality software. You didn’t mention you weren’t running EZCAD, so I assumed he was accurate.

What software is driving it?
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    My bad, Kev mentioned EZCAD, and that’s a knock off Chinese product of quality software. You didn’t mention you weren’t running EZCAD, so I assumed he was accurate.

What software is driving it?
    It's Tykma proprietary, but it's some variation of Ezcad. It's more user friendly as far as I can tell, though I can't find where those setting are that Kev is referencing.
    CorelDraw X7

Oh WOW! You can see it big time when I trace out the largest possible marking/engraving area dimension. It bows in at the top and bottom and out at the sides. It's a good thing I'm only marking small items right now where you don't even notice it. Still, any walk-through on troubleshooting this? Kev, I hate to ask you to write a thesis, but any chance of a walk-through?

20171215_223342.jpg
    Last edited by Jacob John; 12-15-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    CorelDraw X7

This is two of the adjustment menus in EZcad. This first one is accessed via F3...
    params1.jpg
    The lower area is the quadrilateral adjustments ('quadrilateral' is just a fancy name for a shape with 4 sides, and I didn't know what it was 'til I looked it up )

this is the 'basic' red light pointer adjustment--
    params2.jpg
    --the offset and 'scale' adjustments are so you can match the red light to the actual engraving. But the catch is, you have to get it to engrave correctly first!

What I do: I print a 100mm outline on a piece of paper with my printer. I make the square in Corel and print from that. Then MEASURE it, you want it to be exactly 100mm.
    Place it on your engraving table. Now draw a 100mm square dead center in your program. Focus to the paper, this is important to keep everything accurate. Now red-light the drawn square onto the paper. Align the paper square to the red light square as best you can, I line up the bottom and left edge and start from there. Tape the paper down. This is where you'll find how far out your adjustments are. First, make some 'basic' adjustments, by changing 'scale x' and 'scale y' to get the actual size as close as possible to the paper's square. Offsetting is done later. Next is to compare your 4 sizes for curve and straightness. Me, I just fiddle with the numbers until I see something obviously change, and make note of it. It can take awhile but pretty soon you WILL get the shape corrected.

finally- once you have the shape corrected, now you need to engrave the 100mm square onto something. It should pretty much match your red light results, but measure the actual engraving to be sure, and make tweaks until it's exactly 100mm both ways, and square...

Once your satisfied, engrave a fresh square, then red light it. NOW is final tweak time, where you offset or scale the red light until it exactly traces your engraving...

Once you're finished, you'll know that you can trust that your engraving will exactly match and fit to your red light, and you'll have square squares and round circles

---this is assuming of course, you have a similar way to adjust your Tykma program!
    Now
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    It's Tykma proprietary, but it's some variation of Ezcad. It's more user friendly as far as I can tell, though I can't find where those setting are that Kev is referencing.
    "Some variation of EZCAD?". That's a frighting statement If it's made in the USA, then it's probably the software that EZCAD knocked off. If it's a knock off of EZCAD, then it's probably not as "Made in the USA" as you think

Tkyma use ezcad software and a jcz control card ! The laser source is ipg (or maybe SPI) they have changed a few of the icons but that’s about it ! Nothing is really made in any country now! Most electronic components are made is Asia , the wire in it might have been mined in Australia, what does made in USA made actually mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Tkyma use ezcad software and a jcz control card ! The laser source is ipg (or maybe SPI) they have changed a few of the icons but that’s about it ! Nothing is really made in any country now! Most electronic components are made is Asia , the wire in it might have been mined in Australia, what does made in USA made actually mean ?
    With the apparent* work ethic of today's millennial's, not much... (*not all of course, but there's a reason why Best Buy doesn't open 'til 10am )

And just for good measure, even my 1976 Made in the Good Ol' U.S. of A.' Harley Davidson Sportster here--
    myharley.jpg
    came fresh from Milwaukee with an Hitachi starter motor and Showa front forks-- from Japan.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    I think tikma got source code and reworked the software. From viewing the YouTube videos, there are a number of features that are available in their version that isn't in the Chinese version. Yep, hopefully you can get to the adjustment menu....... BTW, my Ray fine was adjusted almost perfectly, I made slight adjustments but they were slight.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks Kev for the tutorial! I'm going to try and adjust it tonight.

As to the EZCAD discussion, it's definitely core CAD with Tykma engineering built on top of it. There are quite a few user friendly features, at least that i can tell, that were added by Tykma for ease of use. The laser source for mine is SPI, though I think you might be able to get these with IPG sources.

And John, I have no doubt that mine was configured correctly when purchased new, Tykma has extraordinary customer service. Mine must have gotten jostled around in shipping (second hand purchase), though like I said it was packed like my Trotec was when it was shipped.
    Last edited by Jacob John; 12-16-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    CorelDraw X7