Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Commissioned Kitchen "Continent"...you know...a very big island... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Love the top. Well matched and beautiful color. But I fail to see how replacing brown cabinets with black cabinets and a continent makes "open and airy". Unless they had several old player pianos in there under a black tarp. Kitchen scientists need to come up with a concept beyond "dark woods are in now" and "light woods are in now".
    Their design has the large island setup like a piece of furniture by design. It's also a different style than the new wall cabinets. Please believe me that this is a really major breath of fresh air compared to what it used to be with a low ceiling, poor lighting, cathedral-grain cheap oak cabinets, etc. It feels twice as large and should retain that once it's completed.

-----
    Prashun, I worked this solo except for the delivery. The latter was easy getting it out of the shop because my friend/the client and I could carry it out the double doors of my shop flat to my trailer. At the other end, it had to come in via a normal 36" exterior door, but the cabinet guys were there and they helped carry it inside. They also just grabbed it and placed it on top of the island for me once I had the hardware installed to secure it. Wehrung's Specialty Woods in Ottsville PA got me the material. Tinsman along the Delaware river on the PA said specializes in it, too, but they tend toward beams. Both are within reasonable driving range for you. I can give you a contact at Wehung's privately if you want it.

Fred, the Centipedes worked perfectly for this. The only touchy thing with them is that one has to set things on them with a flat motion...they don't deal well with lateral stress in that respect. The carpenter was there, too, and they caught his eye big-time, especially when I told him the cost.

John, the d-fir is wonderful and yes, the EM8000cv sprayed out exactly like other Target products I've used. After all the struggles I had with the Kem Aqua Plus that we discussed, it was a heartwarming miracle! The VG d-fri was $7.75 bd ft rough, 8/4 x 6" x 16'. My order was filled within a day, too.

Brian, the Domino XL would have been perfect for this job...but was purchased after it was completed. Uncle Bob had a backorder, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-16-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well done Jim!
    One question/clarification, please. In the glue up picture, it appears the cauls are only on the top of the assembly. The clamps appear to clamp to the bottom of the assembly...not another caul or flat surface? Am I missing something?
    Interested in the method as I have a panel glue up in the near future.

Beautiful work, Jim...and a picture perfect (lots of pictures) description of the process. Thank you.

Nice work Jim, I'm big fan of Doug fir the color the smell when it's getting milled love it!
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well done Jim!
    One question/clarification, please. In the glue up picture, it appears the cauls are only on the top of the assembly. The clamps appear to clamp to the bottom of the assembly...not another caul or flat surface? Am I missing something?
    Interested in the method as I have a panel glue up in the near future.
    You are correct that I wasn't able to put cauls "under" the slab during glue-up, but given my primary concern was with the top, it turned out ok and kept the top flat. The clamps on the bottom "sorta" acted as cauls on that side and with the thickness of the stock all was well. As I mentioned, in hindsight, I would have initially kept this as two slabs narrow enough to process through a wide-belt and then would only have to deal with that one joint in the middle for the final glue up. And you know what they say about hindsight...
    --

It's a real treat to revisit a project after everything else around it is finished in my friend's recent kitchen transformation. The whole room is in beautiful harmony! And I'm happy that I'll be adding a few more small items to this space very shortly to match.

IMG_0251.jpg
    --

Jim, it does all work very well together. The “centerpiece” island really looks great. Nice work. I’m sure they love it, because, well, they are coming back for more!

Looks great, thanks for sharing your step by step process. Bet you were tired of wrestling that bear around in the shop and glad to see it go. My shop is small, built a 43"x108" farm table for a lady a while back, was thrilled to get it out of my shop. The color on the d. fir is beautiful, a little concerned about the "softness" on fir on an island, seems like it might dent easily but I'm no countertop expert. Again, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Looks great, thanks for sharing your step by step process. Bet you were tired of wrestling that bear around in the shop and glad to see it go. My shop is small, built a 43"x108" farm table for a lady a while back, was thrilled to get it out of my shop. The color on the d. fir is beautiful, a little concerned about the "softness" on fir on an island, seems like it might dent easily but I'm no countertop expert. Again, thanks for sharing.
    Yes, it was heavy, but not as heavy as it would have been if it had been, say...maple. No issues with the "softness" and any dents that eventually do show merely reflect "character". But seriously, I had that discussion with the client and they were fine with it.
    --

Blog Entries
    Jim the only thing missing from that island are the catapults and arresting gear.

Very nice work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That looks amazing and I really appreciate your project posts. They are informative and I always learn something as you take us through the process.