Thread: Milk Paint?

Milk Paint?

Anyone here have experience with the above? Particularly using 2 colors and sanding through the top color to see a bit of the base color.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    Anyone here have experience with the above? Particularly using 2 colors and sanding through the top color to see a bit of the base color.
    Thanks
    Hanging out with Clay Foster last year I was introduced to some interesting possibilities with milk paint. Sanding through some of multiple layers was one interesting technique. For example the other John Jordan painted many colored layers on a Sycamore seed pod then sanded through some resulting in an incredible multi-colored "thing". Painting layers on textured wood, such as a roughsawn or distressed surface is especially effective. Another technique was first adding texture by gluing layers of torn paper onto a turned form, painting layers of milk paint, then sanding to reveal color. Another was painting over a surface covered with pieces of crushed eggshell then sanding to reveal the eggshell and colors between the shells.

The milk paint sands easily.

Did you have a particular use in mind? On flat wood, turned, what?

JKJ

I am in the process of turning/making a chandiler. This will be the product for the turning. Looking for the primitive)americana look.

Tom, I've done this on some decorative objects. I'll post a photo tomorrow when I can take one in daylight. Yeah, it works. No special tricks, just sand through top color wherever you feel like it.

Tom, here's a photo of a thing I made to look weathered using milk paint. I just used coarse sandpaper or a file around the edges . That paint is tough. These have been hanging on an outside wall getting full summer sun and winter cold for three years. No top

coat.
    fish.jpg

1. A layer of clear coat between coats of milk paint make it a little easier to achieve just the effect you want.
    2. It takes a coarser grade of snadpaper than I originally expected to use.

Actual milk paint sometimes has problems adhering to other paints such as topcoats. Typically, a acyrilic additive is needed to assure adhesion.