Thread: Planer purchase info $ price

Blog Entries

Planer purchase info $ price

Looking for a planer $5k -30k up to 24" in width for commercial business. Looking for info from those who bought and wish they had bought another or those satisfied from the one they had. New purchase...thanks

Whitney Newman.

Northfield.

Not sure if you want a finish planer or something that can eat lumber all day everyday.

I've got a Format4 exact63 with a tersa head. It's a nice planer. I wish I would've bought a used Martin though. The Felder can be had for about $22k new I think. The Martin might tap out your budget.

There's a couple of nice Martins on woodweb right now, one is extremely low hours

If you're just hogging rough material, you're better off with a Northfield. They're tanks and a truly industrial machine
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 12-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    This will be for smaller material. They use a Sandya 16s for large items. Just not very good for small items...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That Martin with 54 hrs on woodweb looks like top of the chain if you can justify a 20K+ machine. Dave

Blog Entries
    They won't go for used..

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    They won't go for used..
    That is foolish. That thing probably still smells new.

At 54 hours, that unit isn't used. However it is some number of years old. I bought a T26 shaper with tenoning with about the same hours- 52 I think, but the machine was 11 years old, essentially unused.
    Might be a tax reason? In any event, in a matter of a week in a multi man shop, it will be "used"
    Some people just do not care.

Blog Entries
    Their a 10 million a year company. I think they should go for SCMI as we are a sales rep for them, but you never know how they feel in the office. Good day $30k. bad day $1k . Best I can do is put a list together on this forum and let them decide.I told them I would try and come up with a variety over the weekend....I don't do commercial or residential cabinetry anymore so I'm lost on this one..

Jack , after Martin, SCMI makes three models and it's sister company Casadei makes two. The L'invincible is their " compete with Martin " Machine followed by Class and Nova. Casadei, I would guess places their models in the Class and Nova range but usually prices them slightly less. The Felder Format , I would think falls between L'invincible and Class. Northfield is more old school and built like planers were made when cast iron frames and heavy chipbreakers and pressure bars were the norm. Other than those companies, I can only think of Taiwan planers like Cantek as having heavy commercial machines. I'll be interested to hear what your research and discussions lead you to. The commercial single sided planer market is pretty bare now. Might be a Griggio planer but it will be basically similar in build to one of the SCM mahines. SAC, SICAR, and Kolle are now gone. Panhans may or may not have a planer and Hoffmann, who may be above even Martin, won't export to the US. Let us know what you learn. Dave