Thread: Need advice on method to make 1/4+ molding

Need advice on method to make 1/4+ molding

I need to replicate some molding in the house that goes from the wall to the ceiling. it will need to be 3/4 radius and span 110 degrees
    I intended to buy 1/2 round and cut it on the bandsaw, but nobody has half round here. What are some other ways to make this? It will be painted...
    quater_plus_round.jpg

3/4 radius round over and a few passes on a router table (or shaper cutter and feeder on shaper).. then rip.
    Jig up and hold down as needed to be safe.

.... Or molding cutters on a molder.

The drawback to bandsawing half-round is that you can't easily hold it while you're cutting the profile. For most small moldings like this, it is usually a better approach to mill the profile on the edge of a wider board. Then the last milling step you do is to rip the molding off the mother board. The board has acted as a handle to keep the molding under control.

Do what Jamie said. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Yea, along those lines, this could be done using not just a wider board, but would also require a thicker board. Cut the radius first (likely would require two passes; one flat and one vertical), then reduce the thickness from the back to establish one plane and then rip with the blade tilted to the correct angle to finish the molding. A lot of work, in other words.

molding.png
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-16-2017 at 1:39 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks a bunch guys. It will be some work, but now I can do it and keep all of my fingers.