Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The tigers are about

... particularly if the game warden and the owner are... the same person!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You mean shotguns are illegal in Tasmania?
    Fred; the catalyst for gun ownership reform in Australia was on April 28/29th 1996 at Port Arthur in Tasmania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBpRMvxMuM
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-19-2017 at 7:11 AM.

Oh Lord.
    Well, my utter ignorance was showing wasn't it? My apologies folks. I had no idea.

Fred

My apologies for being so dumb, about the history of Australia.
    I watched the video, Stewie. Thanks for posting it.
    If only my country could be so brave, as to do the right thing in times of tragedy. If it is allowed, maybe a small can of mace would help with the snake problem, but then people can be bitten before they realize it is too late, and a defensive action is useless.
    Michael

That snake would have had a diesel shower had I been present. Heard of a guy doing that when a rattler was next to a fuel pump. apparently the rattler could not see or smell after being splashed with a bit of diesel fuel.

We have copper heads and an occasional rattler around here. The rattlers announce their presence. Copper heads don't. We have some kind of very aggressive water snake. Not poisonous but an extreme biter. Only been snake bit once, by a tiny little garter snake. Nasty mean tempered little buggers. Laid my finger wide open with them tiny razor teeth. When my daughter was 5, she caught a red racer. about 16 inches long. That snake was about the calmest snake I have ever been around. Never struck and seemed to like being held and handled. She kept that snake for a few months before we convinced her that it should be free. Even after she let it go, she would go out and find him (or another) and play with it for awhile.

I didn't really know how to explain about gun reform in Australia. Stewie, posting Stan Grant's report was better than anything I could have said.

Tiger snake was sighted from a distance again yesterday so the standoff continues... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I caught a large Copperhead that was striking at me when I was young. Caught it behind the head, and when I pulled it up to take a look at it with both hands it flipped its tail around the rear hand and pulled my hands together. I was a young man and very strong, so it amazed me how strong it was.

So here I am, working alone, holding a large Copperhead by the head and it has both my hands tied up. Tried drowning it in the Guadalupe, no dice, and my hand holding the head was starting to cramp. Finally figured out how to get my boot on its head on a rock ledge and kill it.

The worst thing of that experience was the smell. It was a week before I could stand the smell of my hands, even after bleaching them multiple time. Oh, and the guy became my new hat band.

slightly off topis, back around 1970, my Father was a Game Warden and was away on vacation. I answered the phone and a funeral/burial was being delayed in the next town because a snake had curled up on the brick porch of a funeral home in front of the only doors wide enough to carry the casket out. I explained that I had just got home from college and had no way to get there, but would remove the snake if some one could pick me up. (I lived 2 miles away) The funeral home director gets the town police officer to come and get me. We go back to the funeral home and I use a stick to hold the snake down and grab it just at the back of the head. Well the snake started wriggling and writhing as I jump back in the police car and tell the officer he can take me back home. He made me roll down the window and hold the snake out side as we traveled the two miles home. It was quite a spectacle for other motorists seeing a wriggling snake outside the police car window. When we got back to the street where I lived, the officer asked what I intended to do with the snake. Told him, I was going to let it go in the field at the end of the street. So he drove there, and suggested that we kill it. When we got to the side of the road, I jumped out and threw the snake as far as I could into the tall grass. The officer asked what kind of snake it was. I told him I could never remember the difference between a copperhead and a milk snake, but it was one of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    slightly off topis, ...When we got to the side of the road, I jumped out and threw the snake as far as I could into the tall grass. The officer asked what kind of snake it was. I told him I could never remember the difference between a copperhead and a milk snake, but it was one of the two.
    Great story!

Blog Entries
    It sounds like garden hoe time.

Perry, great story! You would fit right in around where I live! Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.