Thread: Anyone with hands on experience with Minimax T55 W Elite S ?

Anyone with hands on experience with Minimax T55 W Elite S ?

Looks like a nice light unit that would fit well into my shop, adding some things I would like to have, but have not been able to find a review.

Larry

I have a T55I which is the earlier model but largely the same machine. It is a nice low to mid duty shaper, about 1000 pounds (with ballast.). The hood is quite nice. I added the Aigner shaper fence plates and have no complaints. I can recess 230mm tooling below the table.

The only minus I can mention is that the up/down mechanism has more backlash than my Knapp and the digital readout only gets you within .008 or so reliably.

I believe the unit they sell in the US comes with .75 and 1.25 spindles. The metric spindles are quite expensive to obtain from parts pronto. I sourced a 30mm spindle from the U.K. and saved a bundle.

Does yours have the pinned hood with the mechanical readouts on the individual fences? That is one of the things I am after as my eyes are getting bad, would be nice for standard cutters. If so what do you think?

Thanks, Larry

We've had one in the shop for about 3 years now. It's been a solid performer. The pinned hood is a nice feature. The digital readout is for the main fence only and the outfeed fence adjusts relative to the main fence. Here's a couple of pics. Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_0581.jpgIMG_0632.jpgIMG_0109.jpgIMG_0536.jpg

Yes, mine came with the pinned hood. Same as the one James is showing. I think Minimax specs all their US machines this way. I also have a tenoning hood. The shaper table is drilled in two places for the pin on the shaper hood, allowing you to use large and small tooling. Mechanical readout is only on the main fence. The offset fence is manual. However both fences are moved as a unit when the offset is locked. The digital readout scale is quite coarse, so I still use an indicator if sub .01" precision is required.

Another thing, the motor on mine is braking via a magnetic disc brake. I prefer D.C. Injection braking, but the disc brake works well.

James, One of my concerns is the aluminum hood. I had a T50 with the same hood that comes on the Elite combination machines and when I had a blowout knot one day it bent the hood. Never liked that hood anyway. Would you say for non critical stuff like roundovers, T&G cutters, etc. that the numeric adjustments are accurate enough? Speeding up setup with my eye issue is the biggest reason that I find it attractive. If you are familiar with the older hoods, would you say that this hood is stronger?

Also, and I am sorry for being a pain, could you post a pic of the hood from a rear view looking down a bit. SCM does not ever show a picture from this perspective.

If my wife wins the lottery like I told her to I will just order a Martin. Maybe one for you too! I'm running a Unitronix now, which is an awesome machine, very precise, but with no setup aids, no tilt, and no tenoning table. I would probably keep the Uni around as it swings big cutters with ease, but still.......

Thank both of you guys very much.
    Larry Edgerton
    Crooked Tree Joinery

The standard hood on the machine looks pretty substantial (sorry, I didn't get a good picture of the casting). It's as least as thick as the casting on this Aigner hood.
    IMG_1948.jpg
    It also came with this hood (tenoning?) that I never used and looks pretty flimsy.
    IMG_1952.jpg
    Here's some more views of the machine.
    IMG_1947.jpgIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1951.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much sir. I really appreciate that. Not much chance to see something in person up here as you can imagine.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Thank you very much sir. I really appreciate that. Not much chance to see something in person up here as you can imagine.

Larry
    You're welcome to come kick the tires the next time you cross the bridge.