Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw question

table saw question

Interested to hear from members on your experience/preference/opinions regarding table space on the left side of the blade vs the right?
    I'm closing-in on buying the SS Contractors saw with the 36 inch rails.
    Was watching a Jon Peters video and noticed he has almost no space to the left of the blade and it got me thinking. I'm building a new shop with limited space around the TS and my inclination would be to put the blade in the center of the space but maybe there is another/better approach?
    Stan
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

I have that same saw and honestly never really gave any thought to where the blade was in relation to my shop rather than just the saw itself. I think that most have generally the same ratio of left/right space in relation to the blade but I am not sure. I would say that most of the time I am more worried about the space on the right side of the blade than the left.

I think this would depend on being right or left handed. That said my cuttoff sled rides to the right of the blade because there is more table on the right to support it. That method does keep my right hand more away from the blade so maybe a bit safer that way. Not really safer but but at least my dominate hand is safer?
    Bill

Seems to me that the only time you'd need a lot of room on the left side of the blade is when you're cutting some big stuff, such as plywood (sheet goods). I gave up trying to handle sheet goods on my table saw some time back and bought a track saw to cut that stuff. So now, I need very little room on the left side of the blade, probably less than I have.

Mike

[Let me clarify, that when you say "left" you mean the opposite side of the blade from the side that faces the fence.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-17-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I believe it's typical to have as much space to the fence side of the blade as possible. For instance, if you will be cutting 4X8 sheets, it would be good to be able to have at least 48" between blade and fence.

I placed the right side of my saw about 3/4" from the wall which gives me about 32" of usable space to the right of the blade with the fence. If I take the fence off I have just over 36" of clearance. The left is wide open to the wall but I do have mobile support stands I can set up if something is hanging off too far to control. This rarely happens anymore because I have a track saw I use for breaking sheet goods down to manageable sizes and a SCMS for chopping dimensional lumber down to length.

P_20171217_143245.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

yeah, the side opposite from the side the fence is typically on.
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Blog Entries
    First the usual disclaimer that we all do things differently . . . The right side of my saw is no-man's-land occupied by DC, ducting and electrical panel. I do have 52" rails but, would consider anything to the right beyond what my fence could service to be wasted space. Anything you are cutting that is beyond the capacity of your fence is not using the fence and you can therefore reverse your approach and put the long portion on the left side of the blade. If you are thinking of maximum capacity to both sides of the blade I think you are thinking about a CMS and not about a tablesaw. If you are crosscutting long stock regularly, there is a better way to do that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aside from sheet goods I rarely need lots of space either side of the blade. The far right side collects offcuts. For sheet goods I often need the same space on each side which ends up very awkward on the left with rollers on wheels. Those cuts sometimes don't go well!

I would allow the same space either side because it WILL happen.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

In the world of right tilt saws I guess you could justify some space to the left of the blade if you did a lot of bevel rips. In the world of left tilt saws I want as much of the space to the right as I can get for ripping.

Not sure exactly why, but extension fence rails are universally to the right. However, an accessory table to the if very beneficial to support sheet stock. In most cases the 30" ext table to the right will cover the vast majority of cuts. From a space viewpoint, you can locate the right side of the saw closest to (or even up against) a wall but I would still recommend mobility.

On what Cary ^ said, as with many other things, machine station setups depend on what type of ww'ing you do. It doesn't really matter what one person has do what works for you. Off topic but the left vs. right tilt decision may be something you will need to give thought to if a cabinet saw is in your future. I am of the opinion left tilt is much safer.

So sheet goods seems to be the big driver of space to the left of the blade. Track saws have changed the game I guess. My thinking was solidified before there were track saws, in the past I always wrestled 5x5 and 4x8 sheets through the TS. I just bought a Kreg accu-cut so maybe I need to use it to resize sheet goods and take the pressure off the TS placement.
    SS has introduced a router table extension which would work well for me on the left side...no pricing yet though.

Is safety the reason for left-tilt?

Unless you routinely rip plywood on the TS, the right side does not need to be large. In fact, I use the right side so little, I cut my rails from 36" to 24" on the right.

I prefer open space on the left side of the blade for cross cutting.

I always use my saw with the right side against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by stan shields View Post
    Is safety the reason for left-tilt?
    Yes. On a cabinet saw/contractors' style saw with a left-tilting blade, you can safely bevel cut a board or panel with the material between the rip fence and the blade. To do that on a right-tilting arbor, you really need the material to the right of the blade and only sliding table saws are equipped to do that well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...