Thread: Vacuum adapter

Vacuum adapter

So I phoned JT Tools and was told they no longer make the vacuum adapter for the Laguna 18x47 since the new Laguna has a hand wheel. So I am going try my hand trying to make one and am looking for help. I for the life of me I can not wrap my head around how the bearing housing works. I know there must be 2 bearings involved. Is the housing they are in a sealed unit. If anyone has a picture or even a crude hand drawn picture of how this is built I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me. My lathe is a Craftex 802 which is a clone to the Laguna 18x47 which has no hand wheel. I have made a wooden hand wheel from a tutorial I found. Here is picture of what I am trying to build
    I already have the piece with the o-rings on it and the sleeve it goes into. I know the sleeve needs to be epoxied into the hand wheel
    thanks
    Al
    adapter.jpg

Allan,

Maybe some ideas from Joe Woodworker would help? https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneer...umchucking.htm
    He even sells all the pieces you need for a home-built adapter.
    He makes a "spinner" from HDPE but anything would work. You can probably just turn a piece of wood to fit the outside of the bearings, aluminum if you have a metal lathe. I like lignum vitae for making things I might otherwise make from metals.

You can do it with one bearing, two would be better.

I wonder if the old Oneway adapter would work on your lathe? You have to remove the handwheel to use it. I have one to fit the PM3520 that I don't need - I'd trade for a Kubota trackhoe complete with trailer. Or some homemade cookies.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    So I phoned JT Tools and was told they no longer make the vacuum adapter for the Laguna 18x47 since the new Laguna has a hand wheel. So I am going try my hand trying to make one and am looking for help. I for the life of me I can not wrap my head around how the bearing housing works. I know there must be 2 bearings involved. Is the housing they are in a sealed unit. If anyone has a picture or even a crude hand drawn picture of how this is built I would appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me. My lathe is a Craftex 802 which is a clone to the Laguna 18x47 which has no hand wheel. I have made a wooden hand wheel from a tutorial I found. Here is picture of what I am trying to build
    I already have the piece with the o-rings on it and the sleeve it goes into. I know the sleeve needs to be epoxied into the hand wheel
    thanks
    Al
    adapter.jpg

thanks John

Allan, sounds like your Laguna 18x47 is pre-2012. One of my Grizzly lathes is a G0733, which ships without a handwheel just like your Laguna, as well as the nearly identical Craftex CX 802 and at least two other brands (Hafco and Baleigh). In 2013 I wrote a tutorial on making an integrated handwheel and vacuum adapter for all of those lathes, as well as PVC vacuum chucks and a vacuum system. Some of it might be useful to your project. Happy to send it to you if you'll PM me with your email. The photos make the PDF file much too big to post on SMC.