Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

18 Dec 2017

Greetings,
    Yes, I'm a bit early, but I'm oncall and working, so I thought I'd get the W.E. Accomplishments done in case I'm sleeping in tomorrow morning.

The LOML has been cranking out her Christmas Backing for friends and family and I've been working steadily on the old chair repair/rebuild. My hope is to have this chair done and ready for delivery to the owner by mid-week. I've learned that rebuilding old chair parts is more of a challenge than I ever thought possible. Let's just say that the "lesson has been learned". It's one thing to make a chair of your design or plan from scratch and it's an entirely different story when trying to match up compound angles and fitments of chairs that are multi-decades old. No matter, it's about done now and I'll be ever so glad to be done and have it out of my shop. Christmas is coming quickly and I hope that each of you have your projects done and make time to be with family in the coming week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do thist past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Made special storage "shelf" and a new shooting board for the LV Shooting Plane I'm getting for Christmas. Tried out a new finishing technique - 2 coats of dewaxed shellac covered with a top coat of Armor Seal. We'll see how that turns out.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The early bird catches...well...something...

Basic weekend. Food shopping at Wegman's with Professor Dr. SWMBO and our older daughter on Saturday followed by cataloging some donations that need to get gone before the end of the calendar year. That was followed by cooking a delicious Salmon dinner.

Sunday, I was in the shop puttering with both my MFSC (Multi-Function Shop Cart) project and doing a little mini-project to bring a particular function to some Parf Dogs. Oh, and I emptied the cyclone bin that's been full for a week and a half before I accidentally milled something and over-flowed it into the filter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I completed three tools needed to build Windsor chairs: travisher, tapered reamer (for mortices) and tapered tenon cutter ...

There are details on the Neanderthal forum.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well, it wasn't so much what I accomplished this weekend, but my daughter defended her Master's thesis on Friday, then walked on Sat at Montana State University in Bozeman. Good time by all, despite the snow. The title to her thesis was Evaluation of Molecular Mechanisms Impacting Beef Quality and Carcass Characteristics. Dairy cows watch out!
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Congratulations to your daughter (and your family) on a great accomplishment, Mark!
    --

Visited some family and painted my garage. Still work to be done. But once I'm done painting, I can install my led lights, subpanel, and try and figure out how to heat my garage.

Mark, congrats on your graduate's recent accomplishment! LOML and I will be in attendance at her son's dissertation for his PhD in Chemistry late in February and then her other son's Master's cello recital in May. It's great to see the next generation making their way into the world.

I did a little holiday shopping for myself this weekend and purchased a Bosch 1617EVS 2.25hp fixed base router that came in the box with an RA1165 undertable lift. I was lucky and got the last one off the shelf at the blue big box store. I'm going to use this setup as a dedicated engine for my benchtop RA1171 router table that I plan to put to the test making lock miters in about 130 lineal feet of 3/4" red oak. I ran a few samples over the weekend and even with the added 1hp over my PC690 it's still going to be slow going. 2-1/4hp still isn't as strong as I'd like it, but the jump to a 3+hp motor would be at least another $100, which I can't justify at this point in time.

So, I'm off and running on my wedding bed project (pic below found on Overstock.com is what the couple has in mind). With the router table and lock miter bit from Infinity all set up and ready to go, I managed to get the majority of the 4/4 oak milled and cut to rough dimensions. Then I resawed about 3/16" off of one face using a slightly loose blade on the bandsaw to get a rough-sawn look on the sides that will be visible. During the week, I'll be staining that rough-sawn face to resemble worn and weathered pallet wood before ripping to final width and then routing the lock miters. I've already filled one bag of dust and shavings and expect to have at least one or two more before this project is ready for its final top coat.

OscarReclaimedWoodbyKosasHome.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-18-2017 at 4:44 PM.

Seems to be the weekend for emptying the dust collectors... I also emptied mine. That fills up the garbage bag, so out it goes this week.

Saturday, I did the junior bowling coaching, one 18 year old shot his fourth 800 series with games of 260, 268, and 278. 806
    When I go home from that, I got to shovel the driveway. It was an in between amount of snow, too much to leave, not enough for the snowblower. So out came the shovel. Saturday night we went to see a couple of bands. Love that live music.

Yesterday, I got out in the shop for the morning and cut the trim pieces for an opening in a half wall on the front entryway. Then I made the webs for a small cabinet.

I also found out that hide glue turns stiff under 55* F or so. I keep the shop about 45-50*F when I am not in there, then turn it up. Went to use the hide glue for one of the webs and it was a stiff jelly. After it warmed up to about 60*, it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    I also found out that hide glue turns stiff under 55* F or so. I keep the shop about 45-50*F when I am not in there, then turn it up. Went to use the hide glue for one of the webs and it was a stiff jelly. After it warmed up to about 60*, it was fine.
    Yea...very true. A lot of folks actually warm the traditional stuff directly.

Related to this, I recently put a "real" thermostat in my shop and this morning I mentioned to Professor Dr. SWMBO that I'm regretting not getting one that's programmable...traipsing out to the shop each morning to turn up the heat is, um...eye opening...on really cold days. LOL
    --

I'm new here but I'll join in. Hardly fine woodworking but I finished up the fireplace mantel this weekend. Just in time for the Christmas stockings. After the holidays I will do the top portion.

George

Mantel-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George Muff View Post
    I'm new here but I'll join in. Hardly fine woodworking but I finished up the fireplace mantel this weekend. Just in time for the Christmas stockings. After the holidays I will do the top portion.Mantel-1.jpg
    Looks great, George. That looks like something right out of a New Yankee Workshop video What've you got planned for the top portion?

Thanks Mike! The construction is mostly MDF as it was being painted. Cutting MDF gave me a firm reminder that I need to do something more about dust collection on my miter saw.

The top will mimick the bottom just not as much depth. It will stop short of the ceiling with a thinner mantel which the crown molding in the room will wrap around. It is a little hard to tell in the pic but there is a recess above the fireplace about 2 feet deep. I plan to fill this with a pull out drawer with a side opening. This will allow hidden storage of equipment and the TV will mount on the front. Will need to research some heavy duty drawer slides to make this a reality.

George

Looks like "fine woodworking" to me, George. That looks really nice.
    --

Starting to get through several projects-live edge table is done except for some final finishing, Dresser rebuild complete for a dresser I was rebuilding, all of the lumber hand planed and surfaced for a glass front book case I am building. Also getting close to done on a side job that has taken months of work to complete...