Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROS recommendation under $100

ROS recommendation under $100

Please don't recommend the high dollar options. I understand they are FAR better. I've read a lot of the threads and almost all of them end up being about why we should all pay $500 for a Fesdrool or a Mirka Ceros or Beeros. I am a hobbyist and I don't have the deep pockets that most of you seem to have. If you care to donate to getting me a $500 ROS please feel free. Otherwise all I'm trying to determine is what is the highest quality ROS with good dust collection that sells for under $100. Your recommendations are appreciated. If they're about a ROS under $100.

Thanks!
    Mike

PS This will be my first ROS.

I hear ya Mike, I don't think you can go wrong with a Makita, Bosch or Dewalt ROS, you can get any of these in variable speed for well under $100. I've had all of them at one time or another. I have a dewalt that just won't die, the cord is about shot, and I have replaced the pad many times, and the brake, but it is still going, about 20 years now.....

While Ive switched over to all Festool sanders, there was nothing wrong to get a job done with the good ole DeWalt $59 ROS from Home Depot or Lowes that I used to have.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 12-17-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I still gave my makita Ros and im sure it still works. But I haven't used it for years since I learned how to sharpen a card scraper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 12-17-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    Aj

Thanks everyone! I was kind of hoping to hear from some folks who actually may have purchased in the last year or so. I'm not real confident in recommendations for tools that are 20 years old. Not sure if we can really even compare to tools that are 5 years old. How many of the tools that Makita, Bosch or Dewalt are the same tools they build even 5 years ago? I appreciate you guys trying to help but I guess I'm wondering if I can still really trust these brands. I'm been reading plenty of folks talking about how Dewalt has gone downhill in the last year or two. I suppose it's all relative. These are likely still the best of the bunch even if they aren't what they were 5-20 years ago. Sigh.

Andrew,
    I've got to start using my scrapers and learning how to sharpen (and burnish) them! I'd really like to have that skill. But do you use it on plywood as well?

Thanks all!
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I've had my DeWalt for maybe 5 years, so maybe this doesn't meet your requirement. I've replaced the pad once. After woodworking seriously for over a year, I'm just now starting to understand why I want something better.

I've been looking into Bosch stuff lately. Their brand seems to be strong, in my opinion. I got a Makita multitool that seems to be made really well made. I would agree that DeWalt seems to be on the low end, but that may only be because I know more about tools than I used to. Just don't get Ryobi.

Edit: Hitachi makes one. I love their cordless driver / drill set I have. Wonder if this is a good option as well.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 12-18-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: to confuse matters

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I've had my DeWalt for maybe 5 years, so maybe this doesn't meet your requirement. I've replaced the pad once. After woodworking seriously for over a year, I'm just now starting to understand why I want something better.

I've been looking into Bosch stuff lately. Their brand seems to be strong, in my opinion. I got a Makita multitool that seems to be made really well made. I would agree that DeWalt seems to be on the low end, but that may only be because I know more about tools than I used to. Just don't get Ryobi.

Edit: Hitachi makes one. I love their cordless driver / drill set I have. Wonder if this is a good option as well.
    Thanks Andrew W.

I've got a couple of Makita tools and I really like them. I'm kind of leaning towards Makita but I was reading some NOT so good stuff about the dust collection issues with their ROSs in this price range so that's kind of made me rethink that. I would love to hear from anyone who has/had a Makita and if it was as bad as I've read with the dust collector falling off. Maybe I'll take a look at what Bosch has to offer.

I purchased a Dewalt about 1 year ago. Great machine with little vibration and very good dust control. I have no need to use my Fein vacuum on it. It's small bag system does very well. It can be very aggressive as needed.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I have two DeWalts, one a 6 inch shaped like a grinder that is older and I do not recommend it due to vibration. The newer one is a little 5 inch which is in your price bracket and works fine. I bought it in 2013. I know that because we had just purchased our house and were putting a couple coats of poly on the kitchen floor scuffing with the Milwaukee I had at the time and it came apart in the middle of the job.
    I'm thinking of a 6 inch Bosch at the moment that has an agressive mode like some of the Festools. But it is more like $250. Even if I buy it, I will also use the DeWalt. I hook my shop vac to it and it gets most of the dust. I would see what Bosch has in your price range, they seem to be trying to compete with Festool (on multiple fronts) but if you don't see what you want, a DeWalt or other brand will work well.
    My opinion is that 5 inch ROS are about like mid-sized router sets. There are a lot of pretty good brands. Hard to go wrong.

Thanks Jim. Thanks Jerry.

I have a dewalt orbital, and a craftsman professional the red one (that is about 10 years old) I prefer the craftsman, for certain things the variable speed is nice. If I was getting one I get one that has variable speed.

If I was going to buy one today I would look at the Ridgid at Homedepot, they have a lifetime service agreement, anything wears out they replace it free. I have Ridgid battery tools and have already got a few free batteries.

+1 on the Ridgid sanders. I have 2 of the 5" ones. dust collection is so-so. The life time service agreement works, but you have to do all the paperwork and jump through some hoops. A good sander for a Harry Homeowner ike I am.
    Joe

A lot of the mass-market sanders really haven't changed for a very long time...so folks who are using older versions are using essentially the same tools as are sold today. That's not universal, obviously, and some things like dust collection are more front and center now. Dust extraction isn't going to be stellar on any of these simply because of how they are designed. The higher end sanders have better accommodations for that, with center holes, etc., which is why they highlight the dust extraction as a key feature along with lower vibration. I suspect you'll be served similarly by any of the tools in your price range. Pick a brand you are most comfortable with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of the mass-market sanders really haven't changed for a very long time...so folks who are using older versions are using essentially the same tools as are sold today. That's not universal, obviously, and some things like dust collection are more front and center now. Dust extraction isn't going to be stellar on any of these simply because of how they are designed. The higher end sanders have better accommodations for that, with center holes, etc., which is why they highlight the dust extraction as a key feature along with lower vibration. I suspect you'll be served similarly by any of the tools in your price range. Pick a brand you are most comfortable with.
    Thanks Jim. That's helpful. Now if I can just pick the right one! ;-)

I've had the6" bosch for a few years now and it works great!