Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ROS recommendation under $100

I got a Bosch ROS when my Porter-Cable sander went belly-up a couple of months ago. I looked at the Festool offerings but dropped that idea when I realized I would have to purchase a pile of sanding discs. I have several hundred discs that do not have the same hole spacing as the green machines. The Bosch is a 5" 8-hole design, just like the sick PC sander.
    You can find them in the blue box stores for around $59 or $69 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I got a Bosch ROS when my Porter-Cable sander went belly-up a couple of months ago. I looked at the Festool offerings but dropped that idea when I realized I would have to purchase a pile of sanding discs. I have several hundred discs that do not have the same hole spacing as the green machines. The Bosch is a 5" 8-hole design, just like the sick PC sander.
    You can find them in the blue box stores for around $59 or $69 bucks.
    Mike,
    Which model Bosch did you get and what do you see as the pros and cons? Thanks!
    Mike

Mike,

I buy many of my tools from https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recon...efault,sc.html

All of them reconditioned tools, and all have worked like new.

They sell a Factory Reconditioned Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS that rates very high on Amazon.com for $99 and a Factory Reconditioned ROS20VSC for $49.99. Here is the link to the factory reconditioned Bosch Sanders:
    https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recon...efault,sc.html

I have the Bosch ROS65VC with the 5" disk and like it very much. But its over your price range, even reconditioned. I recently bought the ROS20VSC ($49.99 reconditioned) because it is smaller and lighter, but have not yet had a chance to use it. Reviews say the ROS20VSC is slower, but there are times I'll trade speed for weight. Time will tell. The Bosch ROV20VSC actually rates just as high as the 3725DEVS on Amazon.

I'd suggest going with the ROS20VSC and spend the rest of the $$ on good sanding disks. I've read good things about Klinspor disks, but others can probably give better advice on specific brands of disks than me.

BTW, the ability to hook up a shop vac is an important feature for me, and the Bosch ROS's have that capability - they actually come with an adapter to connect to 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" hoses. The ROS20VSC looks like it has an odd-shaped connector, but its really just a round connector with a rectangular filter that traps very small particles.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    Mike,

I buy many of my tools from https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recon...efault,sc.html

All of them reconditioned tools, and all have worked like new.

They sell a Factory Reconditioned Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS that rates very high on Amazon.com for $99 and a Factory Reconditioned ROS20VSC for $49.99. Here is the link to the factory reconditioned Bosch Sanders:
    https://www.cpotools.com/bosch-recon...efault,sc.html

I have the Bosch ROS65VC with the 5" disk and like it very much. But its over your price range, even reconditioned. I recently bought the ROS20VSC ($49.99 reconditioned) because it is smaller and lighter, but have not yet had a chance to use it. Reviews say the ROS20VSC is slower, but there are times I'll trade speed for weight. Time will tell. The Bosch ROV20VSC actually rates just as high as the 3725DEVS on Amazon.

I'd suggest going with the ROS20VSC and spend the rest of the $$ on good sanding disks. I've read good things about Klinspor disks, but others can probably give better advice on specific brands of disks than me.

BTW, the ability to hook up a shop vac is an important feature for me, and the Bosch ROS's have that capability - they actually come with an adapter to connect to 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" hoses. The ROS20VSC looks like it has an odd-shaped connector, but its really just a round connector with a rectangular filter that traps very small particles.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I'll check out CPOTools. As I read more and more reviews on Amazon and elsewhere I'm realizing that the ability to hook up to a shop vac is something I really want to have. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Bosch 3725DEVS 5" ROS but realized how large it is and I think I want the capability to get into some tighter spaces than it would allow due to it's size.

And definitely thanks on the sanding discs recommendation as that's something I need info on as well!

Mike

I like my DeWalt 5" ROS. It does what it says on the box. And the price is reasonable.

I would also recommend that you take a look at using ABRANET sandpaper discs with it. Since I started using this stuff a couple of years ago, I'm sold. It is a mesh, rather than paper, so it is very durable. I typically wear out the grit before I tear up the backing. They also don't load very easily and the dust extraction is outstanding. They are also fantastic for hand sanding either freehand or with a block. Great stuff.

I am a big fan of the Frued Diablo red colored sanding pads from Home Depot. They seem to cut really well without excessive scratching. the 120 grit acts like other 80 grits I have used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-5...-202830800-_-N

Sand paper doesn't cut wood it grinds. Plane irons or Chisels cut wood. Then there's the card scraper that's scraps.You guys should try it sometime.
    Aj

The Bosch is model ROS20VS. 5" 8-hole with the attached dust canister.
    The canister works well for catching the sanding dust, as it is not as cumbersome as attaching a dust collector hose. The variable speed is nice, but I normally just set in the high setting and let it go.
    Works well for its intended purpose, leaving a very smooth surface. And sand paper is readily available from the big blue box store or on-line suppliers.

I've recently used Dewalt, Bosch, and Porter-Cable ROS side-by-side. I don't like the PC - the dust collector keeps getting knocked off by the cord (this wasn't a problem with my old PC ROS) and the switch is difficult to manipulate (recessed). The Dewalt kept losing sanding discs after a few minutes of use. The Bosch had none of these problems. The Bosch felt different - it seemed to have a different sanding pattern. If I buy another it will probably be the Bosch - it was a bit more expensive, but fewer shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Works View Post
    I've recently used Dewalt, Bosch, and Porter-Cable ROS side-by-side. I don't like the PC - the dust collector keeps getting knocked off by the cord (this wasn't a problem with my old PC ROS) and the switch is difficult to manipulate (recessed). The Dewalt kept losing sanding discs after a few minutes of use. The Bosch had none of these problems. The Bosch felt different - it seemed to have a different sanding pattern. If I buy another it will probably be the Bosch - it was a bit more expensive, but fewer shortcomings.
    Do you recall which Bosch you used?

Yes - please +1 to that request.
    Bosch has one for $49, $78, $127,$212.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Sand paper doesn't cut wood it grinds. Plane irons or Chisels cut wood. Then there's the card scraper that's scraps.You guys should try it sometime.
    A total aside, because it doesn't answer your actual question, Mike. ..... I'm in the same place with Andrew. I haven't used sandpaper since I learned how to use a smoothing plane 3-4 years ago. And I frequently use a single edge razor blade for a card scraper.

Anyway, let us know which sander you decide to buy and maybe post a short review if you can. It always helps to build the archives.

Good luck,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-20-2017 at 8:44 AM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My Milwaukee 5” sander has been very good to me. However I used both a $200 Bosch and a Festool and I couldn’t tell the difference so I went with the Bosch and have no regrets. I’m sure their smaller ones are good too.

Whatever you get, get a 10$ card scraper too and learn how to sharpen and use it then your sander won’t see as much use, but I wouldn’t want to be without at least a small 5” ROS.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    The model was ROS10. Bought it (and the others) at the blue big box store.

15. I bought a Bosch and a DeWalt at the same time. That Dewalt died and I bought another Dewalt. I recently died and I am now trying out a Makita. The Bosch is still running strong. I need to mention the Bosch probably got used a little less than the two Dewalts