Thread: Repair Advice

Repair Advice

Hi my first post here but have been a reader for awhile. My question is I have a 1455B miller falls & the rivet that holds the lever cap on is lose. I know it needs to be smashed down some, but with out a rivet punch I'm thinking using a bolt & nut left with threads exposed to make a cup. Any one else have something that worked for them doing this?

Thanks!
    AJ

Hi AJ. Welcome to the Creek! Glad you've joined us!

I've used two methods to tighten rivets: a nail whose tip I dulled/rounded and a nail set. Tap gently. Don't overtighten - sneak up on it.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If this is a show piece. Turn a small hardwood blank and use it as a punch.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Allen and welcome to the Creek.

Is this the rivet holding the cam lever to the cap?

Take great care with this as it is easy to break the casting.

Is the looseness causing a problem?

Are you able to post images?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

From what I can see see the lose rivet is the reason the iron will not stay in place, after the second or third pass the iron will angle off to one side then I have to tap it back in place other wise I'm cutting at bevel. I never noticed this until I started working with with the filler strips I making for slate spacers on the baby bed I'm building. they are only 5/16 X 38 & run 1 3/4 to 2 1/8 long. I think the lose rivet is not letting the cap tighten down all the way & the screw is as tight as it will go. I know this is a cheaper plane & I have others but for this fine work they are just to big. I do have a uncle buck's tiny one I'm going to sharpen up & see how it dose for this task. There is a story on why I bought this one. LOL

Thanks!
    AJ

Blog Entries
    I think the lose rivet is not letting the cap tighten down all the way & the screw is as tight as it will go.
    The rivet should only be holding the lever and cam to lock the cap. You may have a situation where a Millers Falls lever cap was replaced with a Stanley or other lever cap.

It may be possible to place something under the cam, like a penny or dime to obtain a bit more tension to hold the blade in place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

This is exactly what I did, I cut up a beer can & made shims stacked them until it felt right & tight & it working fine. It may have the wrong cap on it, it was a freebie. It was found in a rental machine that came off a framing site. it was clean but it a well used state. but a frame would not care about it being a little off like one of us. Thanks for the advice.
    AJ

Looks like this one?
    IMAG0032.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0023.jpgIMAG0025.jpg
    Paid $16 for this one.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Looks like this one?
    IMAG0032.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0023.jpgIMAG0025.jpg
    Paid $16 for this one.......
    That's a purdy package.

If Millers Falls collectors were anything like Stanley collectors that could make some money on ebay.

jtk

Yes but mine is all black.