Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got 45

Finally got 45

Saturday morning there was a CL post for a garage sale with antique tools including (2) Stanley 45s
    I was there 15 min. before posted start time. (Ad did not say No Early Birds) One 45 was already gone.

The remaining plane looked in reasonable condition and had 20+- cutters in a plastic bag, another bag w/ a cam, depth stop, 1 slitter and a fence(?) This was all contained in a cardboard box that had barely discernible traces of a label that I think says 45. Plane has a March 11, 84 Pat. Date. I believe that this was only the second time I've seen a Stanley 45 at a local yard/garage sale and this one was in much better shape/closer to a "set".
    When I got it home and started cleaning, it dawned on me that all the cutters are for a later model
    with the depth adjustment wheel. The one exception to this was in the plane. Must be said that is
    amazing that all the much shinier sides of cutters remained facing out in the bag even with me
    turning it over in a cursory inspection.
    Now for the questions: I think I have a Type 3 or 4 plane which means it should be in a wood box?
    Being a user and not a collector; I'm not concerned with the "correctness" of the box per se except condition of box is such that it's value for storage is minimal. Box would have been made out of Pine? Finger jointed? Basic dimens? Thinking I might try to use tool to construct a repro box to include labels.
    There would also be a label ID'ing box as a repro, date purchased, etc.
    I paid $150 for the plane. I saw it and have been wanting one for a long time, as mentioned this was first viable shot at a in-person purchase. That being said, think I stampeded myself a little and could have bargained a tad more. Whadda think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, Check on Steven Newman's post. I think he made a box for a 45 based on an original. Looked very nice as I remember.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    It has been awhile since looking at #45 type list, but my recollection is the type 4 was the first one to have a nickel finish instead of being Japanned.

As to price, my attention to such details has waned in the past couple of years. Whenever ebay completed sales are checked for a reference, it amazes me how much planes are being sold for these days.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

labels.jpg
    My copy and the original box..Type 20, SW.....
    cutters.jpg
    Inside were two cutter holders.
    inside view 1.jpg
    I have to tear the plane down, to get it all inside....
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Corners on both boxes used finger joints.
    Some of the other style of boxes were with a sliding lid..
    IMG_2440 (640x480).jpg
    Finger joints, or through dovetails. Box was tall enough to allow the assembled plane to sit inside. Separate holder boxes for the cutters.

Blog Entries
    Odd, I have a 45 that I didn't pay anything for and it's in the original box w/ irons. Since I have a Record 44 and 50 (set up for beading), I haven't seen the need. As to tongue and groove, a LN 48 & 49 take care of it. Not sure what else it offers that I'm missing.

You use , what...4 planes? To do the work of a single #45? That is three planes I don't have to put away on a project.....

Blog Entries
    True, but with tongue and groove, don't you have to "experiment" with the 45 until you have it right? I do understand your point in that one will do the work of the others, but the others are already set for common tasks. Take them out of the cabinet and complete the task. Perhaps I need to work with it a bit to see if I'm missing anything.

last milled edge.jpg
    Takes almost as long to set up, as getting the plane out of the box.
    first groove.jpg
    Same with these....

BTW...what do you use for a dado?

Blog Entries
    Chris Schwarz dado method - a saw, chisel and router plane to finish. You've convinced me to a degree - I'm going to try and set up a beading blade and wider blade for rabbets as opposed to my current Record 778.

Obviously, if so many people use them, they must be useful but when I saw all the parts in the box, my initial thought went to "Rube Goldberg". With "0" invested in a new condition plane, I admit that I owe it to myself to give it chance.

Sounds like you did quite well. For the cutters and a body in good to great shape, the $150 is a pretty solid price for the blades, body, slitter, and camber. What I don't see are short rods; but those are not that necessary for using the 45 (which I like). So many times the camber and the slitter are missing (which might together cost you another $40), so I think you got a good deal. If you like it and use it, it should become a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    Obviously, if so many people use them, they must be useful but when I saw all the parts in the box, my initial thought went to "Rube Goldberg".
    Obviously what you need is a 55...

Blog Entries
    Chris Schwarz dado method - a saw, chisel and router plane to finish. You've convinced me to a degree - I'm going to try and set up a beading blade and wider blade for rabbets as opposed to my current Record 778.

Obviously, if so many people use them, they must be useful but when I saw all the parts in the box, my initial thought went to "Rube Goldberg". With "0" invested in a new condition plane, I admit that I owe it to myself to give it chance.
    The #45 is good for larger work than the Record #44 or the #50 can handle easily. If you want to work a 3/4" plow blade or make a 3/4" rabbet using a larger blade. The #45 is good when a bit more fence or length of plane would be helpful registering against the stock.

If my work is going to incorporate a bead, the #45 is easier to work with than the smaller planes unless they have a blade adjuster.

The slitter can make a #45 into a panel gauge. It could be a great help if one wants to raise a panel with sharp fielding in the center.

Fluting blades are not uncommon in ebay or from other vendors. With a fluting blade and a beading blade one can make some molding to enhance a shelf or a cabinet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Guys
    Thanks for information

Pics of box helpful, Steven
    Could you spare a transplant to Florida from Athens, Ohio
    Length, Width and Height dimensions on the box?

Archie, No short rods included or proprietary screwdriver
    You have supplied me with more to work with on my
    "purchase rationalization scenario": Got a good portion of
    the parts for one price instead of buying one by one.
    The reality- wanted one, found one, bought it

BTW apologies for picture quality; my digital camera went bad on me
    Spent money budgeted for new camera on Plane

True, but with tongue and groove, don't you have to "experiment" with the 45 until you have it right? I do understand your point in that one will do the work of the others, but the others are already set for common tasks. Take them out of the cabinet and complete the task. Perhaps I need to work with it a bit to see if I'm missing anything.
    Don, you aren't missing anything. I expect a photo of my 45 will show up on Jim's list of unused tools before the thread ends.

It's kinda like if you need back surgery do you go to a GP, someone that does a little of everything, or to a neurosurgeon that only does one thing but does it better than any GP.

As a general rule single use tools do the job they were designed to do better than multi use tools. It is a simple concept but usually true.

ken

Blog Entries
    Use it and look for another one.

After all, we just buy stuff and use it don't we?