Thread: Handles for a toy chest

Handles for a toy chest

So I was going to use black iron pipe fittings to make some handles for my toy chest. No questions on that, but I was going to attach to my side panel, which is free floating. Its pretty tight, might move some, but overall does anyone thing thats a bad idea? This piece is pretty heavy, so I dont see the recipients moving it around too much.
    Thanks

I think you've identified a good concern to have. With the chest empty, it's unlikely there would be an issue, but loaded...well...

Perhaps you can place a piece of flat steel inside the chest that spans front to back and is physically fastened to the non-floating frame of the ends. The handles you make can then fasten to that through the floating panel. The steel will spread the load out to the corner and wouldn't take up any space since it would be flat against the inside of the case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think you've identified a good concern to have. With the chest empty, it's unlikely there would be an issue, but loaded...well...

Perhaps you can place a piece of flat steel inside the chest that spans front to back and is physically fastened to the non-floating frame of the ends. The handles you make can then fasten to that through the floating panel. The steel will spread the load out to the corner and wouldn't take up any space since it would be flat against the inside of the case.
    Im going to use the panel, its tight to the groves, so hopefully minimal movement. The rails are screwed and glued, so very secure. My handles are black iron pipe and a flanges to attach. Hopefully will be sufficient.

I think I'd still reinforce with at least a wooden backer attached to the stiles, but floating behind the panel, but that's me. Hopefully, it will work out for you!
    --

Here is what I did for handles. IMG_3029.jpg

I suppose you may end up with cross grain problems with a rigid handle spanning that much width. There may be a reason many old trunks used rope or leather handles?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I suppose you may end up with cross grain problems with a rigid handle spanning that much width. There may be a reason many old trunks used rope or leather handles?
    Bill
    If you look at the photo, there should be no cross-grain issue with the handles as the panels have the grain parallel to the handles. The separation of the fasteners that "are" cross grain is minimal, so I doubt there will be a problem.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    ...black iron pipe fittings to make some handles for my toy chest. ...
    That's a nice idea for strong handles. I can find a use for those around the farm.

JKJ