Thread: Suggestion on how to cut this molding

Suggestion on how to cut this molding

I would like to design and build some furniture with this style base. Custom knifes the way to go? Would you have a single knife and take many passes? I am thinking it would be about 2" high. 3/4" quarter round, 3/4" cove, and a bead on top.

cabinet base.jpg

What tools do you have? Do you have a shaper?

I have a 5HP tilting spindle shaper and a large collection of routers. I started assuming I would need to split it into two profiles but I can't find anything like the top have. It's not a pure cove but it has two different curves. I may be forced to buy a corrugated cutterhead and a custom set of knives.

For a one-off, you could make a profile like that with three standard cutters and three set-ups, but if you want to do very much of it, a custom cutter would be the way to go, IMHO.

Molding Cutters 12-19-17.jpg

With a tilting shaft it is possible to do that with existing cutters depending on what you have. But it is usually more economical to have a corrugated cutter made. I end up doing this sometimes if I need to get a job done without waiting for a custom grind.

The fact it is curved will complicate things more for using several cutters. A while back I had to match a existing chair rail in a historic house. They only needed 6 lineal feet. A custom cutter for this would have been less than $100. It would have been a little less expensive to order a cutter but she had a carpenter working and we were able to get it done quickly.
    here is how it went.
    44970313-9E73-4242-A2F8-D3314F83AEEB.jpg
    EF090337-F350-4E37-8819-BD87BE3DFCAB.jpg
    A5808401-8358-4F08-AC33-E125B532A5C6.jpg

B861A3A0-F469-4DF3-99F0-1E9AE0771D9E.jpg
    C47D1A20-B5F5-4636-BC5F-314A997853DD.jpg
    864037F4-F6B8-440F-AB68-3D4715330137.jpg
    B9629616-2FBA-448C-8CAD-756D9028ABC1.jpg

I dont mean or want to hijack, but how are curved mouldings made like the OP's photo? The side is curved I have never been able to figure out how this is done.. If there are previous threads on this, Id love to know about them..

You start with a curved blank and mill the profile into it.

The curved blank can be sawn from solid, or steam bent, or built up in a bent lamination.

The milling can be done on a shaper, a molder, a router, or by hand.

If you go to Youtube and search "curved molding" you will find various methods demonstrated.

I would build that in stacked layers, each with a smaller, probably already owned profile.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like i have some Youtube watching to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    You start with a curved blank and mill the profile into it.

The curved blank can be sawn from solid, or steam bent, or built up in a bent lamination.

The milling can be done on a shaper, a molder, a router, or by hand.

If you go to Youtube and search "curved molding" you will find various methods demonstrated.

I'm not sure why you would suggest steam bending or lamination for this, that's way too much work and neither method serves any benefit fpr this. I would create templates for the molding and case and then make the molding with an overarm router, a pin router or shaper using bearing bits/cutters. I remember Lonnie Bird (I think) doing a clock pediment moulding with a series of cutters in a shop made overarm router.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I'm not sure why you would suggest steam bending or lamination for this.
    Right. I probably would not use either of those techniques for that particular project. I was trying to answer more broadly "how to create curved moldings" and offer multiple options.