Thread: Copper wire stitching

Copper wire stitching

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction on where to find the copper wire used for stitching cracks on live edge tables.

THANKS

Maybe inside an old motor you have laying around. Just a thought that immediately came to mind.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

What diameter are you thinking? From places that supply electricians, you can buy bare copper wire. 14 gauge or so -- .1" diameter. Places like Home Depot sell it by the foot or by the reel.

Or you buy the multistrand cable and rip then insulation off and then unwind the separate smaller wires. look on the discount wire remnant rack for some shorter,cheaper lengths.
    Bill D.

I have bought some on ebay. If you have a decent hardware store around they should have it.. I have used 18 or more likely 20 gauge wire to lace cracks in bowls. 14 gauge would be kind of heavy to work with. Jared

Google with "bare copper wire" leads you to a variety of diameters on Amazon.

You didn't say where you were located. I generally by copper from Alaska Copper and Brass in Seattle.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any nursery, or nursery supply center, that specializes in Bonsai Trees, will have what you are looking for. You need annealed copper wire.
    Be warned, It's not going to be cheap
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It is easy to anneal copper. Just heat it to 500-1200 F internal and allow it to cool. Cooling can be quench or slow air cooling. Of course heating to those temperatures will cause oxidation and discoloring.
    Bill

Go over to the "Boat Building" discussion and ask about copper wire used for "stitch and glue" boat construction.