Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1095 Steel bar stock?

1095 Steel bar stock?

Looking to make my own skew and saw a video on doing so. They recommend 1095 steel. Would anyone know of a source? Looking for 1/4" x1" bar stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    Looking to make my own skew and saw a video on doing so. They recommend 1095 steel. Would anyone know of a source? Looking for 1/4" x1" bar stock.
    There are a couple people selling 1095 knife blanks on Amazon.

W1 is very similar, and McMaster sells that in bar stock: https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-s...heets/=1ase71l

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    I looked at my usual sources and couldn't find any 1" wide 1095 bar that thick. (Most was wider and thinner, sold to knife makers)

Just curious as to why you want to make a skew from bar stock - just "because", or perhaps to save the cost of buying the skew?

But is 1095 the best choice for a skew? I understand it is a "carbon steel" - and not a high speed steel. If so, it will lose it's hardness like other carbon steels if it turns blue when sharpening on a grinder. Would it be better to use a high speed steel that will keep the hardness even if overheated? (HSS can be heated red hot without affecting the hardness)

I recently bought some O1 oil-hardening tool steel bar stock from Online Metals. I see a piece of 1/4"x1" 18" long is about $20 before shipping. They also have other types of tool steel which should work as well. However I don't see HSS in bar stock although they carry M2 in round (drill rod). When you buy tool steel keep in mind if you buy it unhardened you will need to heat treat it yourself, but I assume your YouTube video mentions that.

BTW, I personally like the the 10V HSS that Doug Thompson uses for my skews and scrapers. However, they are not cheap. The advantage is they are already shaped for on the end for putting into a handle and the skews are radiused on one edge. He might even sell the unsharpened skew blank for cheaper, I don't know. If wanting to make a skew for a lot cheaper I'd probably find a cheap HSS 1/4" thick skew or scraper, maybe used, and grind it to suit. I might even have a spare one in my box of cheap tools I save for students or for making special tools.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    But is 1095 the best choice for a skew? I understand it is a "carbon steel" - and not a high speed steel. If so, it will lose it's hardness like other carbon steels if it turns blue when sharpening on a grinder. Would it be better to use a high speed steel that will keep the hardness even if overheated? (HSS can be heated red hot without affecting the hardness)
    1095/W1 is typically tempered at 400F or maybe a bit higher. If you get it hotter than that in use then it will start to lose hardness.

High speed steels are typically tempered at 1000F or so. While this means that "home heat treatment" isn't a realistic option for most folks the way it is with 1095/W1/O1/etc, it also means that you can use it a lot more aggressively and not worry about detempering.

look up New Jersey steel baron. Also 1084 is easier to heat treat. the NJSB is a great guy
    http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/

Files are high carbon steels. Find one, heat it red hot and let it cool slowly in the forge. It should be soft enough to sand/grind off the teeth. Then you can make what you want with it, harden and temper.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Albano View Post
    look up New Jersey steel baron. Also 1084 is easier to heat treat. the NJSB is a great guy
    http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/
    I like what I see on the web site. But in your experience, do they typically carry thicker stock than the knife stock listed? They say call.

I think that using 10V is a mistake for most people. It is listed as a powder metallurgy grade and needs fairly sophisticated heat treatment. It is not a good choice for home heat treatment and beyond most people's capability.

Using a 1095 or similar grade makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think that using 10V is a mistake for most people. It is listed as a powder metallurgy grade and needs fairly sophisticated heat treatment. It is not a good choice for home heat treatment and beyond most people's capability.

Using a 1095 or similar grade makes a lot more sense.
    You are absolutely right about not trying to use 10V unhardened - a hobbiest would probably never get it heat treated correctly. Even Doug Thompson doesn't do it himself but sends out the tools. When I mentioned 10V it was assuming buying it already hardened and tempered from Thompson, ready to grind into a tool. Perhaps I didn't make that clear.

JKJ

OP here.
    I found a source! Admiral Steel. I can get a piece 1/4x1"x72" for about $25.

Get a used leaf spring. They are 1095. Bear in mind if you heat it up making your tool you will be annealing it.

Leaf springs and spring steel....

1074, 1080, 1095, 5160, 5150, 9255, 92V45 and a host of others depending on the application

If it's a skew for lathe use - use high speed steel.

Most HSS comes pre-hardened for use in tool bits. You grind to shape and off you go... But grinding is a challenge - you have to have the correct wheels or you will end up in a mess...

You can buy M2 HSS scrapers from Penn State and just regrind them. Already handled and the 1.5” scraper is a heavy tool.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    You can buy M2 HSS scrapers from Penn State and just regrind them. Already handled and the 1.5” scraper is a heavy tool.
    Excellent idea. For $20 he could get a 1" scraper (with the handle) ready to grind into a skew.