Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Step back cupboard, a build thread

Seenings how the Dungeon Shop is below ground, in a basement.....Weather outside is in the single digits..above zero....ground temp is falling...may need to wear a sweater to the shop today....4+" of the white crap on the ground outside.....I HATE WINTER!

Sweater was almost too much...or maybe I was working too hard, today?
    Got out the big plane today..
    IMG_2726 (640x480).jpg
    Used this to joint the edges on two stiles, then ganged them up, and made sure they matched each other...
    IMG_2728 (640x480).jpg
    Laid out for a groove, and got the Stanley #45 set up...
    IMG_2729 (640x480).jpg
    To match the tongue I milled on the case's sides. More to align the glue joint....wasn't all that deep..
    IMG_2730 (640x480).jpg
    Set these two aside, and ganged up three rails

IMG_2731 (640x480).jpg
    So I could joint their edges, and make sure they matched each other..
    IMG_2733 (640x480).jpg
    Millers Falls No. 11 was used, this time. Ends were in need of squared up..
    IMG_2734 (640x480).jpg
    So, this "sliding mitersaw" was put to use. I clamped the stiles to the front of the case..
    IMG_2735 (640x480).jpg
    And made a few more lay-outs....
    Stay tuned, part 2 coming right up...

Ok, laid out for the tenons...they aren't all that big, just enough to do the job..
    IMG_2736 (640x480).jpg
    Decided to trim them just a bit....
    IMG_2737 (640x480).jpg
    I had to readjust the mortise jig, stiles are a hair thicker than the webframe parts were...7/8"?
    Time to chop a few holes..
    IMG_2738 (640x480).jpg
    One down, 5 to go..
    IMG_2739 (640x480).jpg
    Two done. This will be the drawer's opening. Turned the stile end for end..
    IMG_2740 (640x480).jpg
    This is for in front of the bottom shelf. Haven't decided on adding the live edged part to this one. Yet.
    One stile is now all mortised up. Taking a supper break, before I work on the other stile.
    Stay tuned

Today being a Monday, AND a Holiday...woodshop is closed for the day. Have a Happy New Year, people!

Tuesday? Already? I suppose I should meander to the shop, sometime today? Maybe after Lunch?

Ok, to get my mind off of other troubles at the house..., went to the shop for a while....
    IMG_2745 (640x480).jpg
    Had three of these to do. Fancy handled chisel is curved, to clean out the bottoms of mortises...
    Once those were done, there was a "fight"....to get things glued and clamped up..somehow..
    IMG_2746 (640x480).jpg
    Wasn't as easy as it looked. Rotated this AFTER one end was finally clamped down. Then worked my way up. Then set this thing aside, until the glue cures
    Next, since the bench was clear, the plywood panel for the back and the drawer bottom was cut to sizes needed..at least for the back panel...somehow got the case up onto to the bench..
    IMG_2747 (640x480).jpg
    Then glue, screws and nails to attach the plywood back..
    IMG_2748 (640x480).jpg
    Then set this mess back onto the floor. Holes were drilled through the top webframe. A center hole and two slotted holes on each end.
    Dug out the panel for the top of the case...and set it on the bench to flatten it out, a bit..
    IMG_2750 (640x480).jpg
    Got the left end squared to the back edge. Somehow got the case back on to the bench, and center to the left edge and the back edge...then came the screws
    Screws were about 1/8" too long, grinder to reduce their length, AFTER I started a "pilot" hole with them.
    IMG_2752 (640x480).jpg
    The one showing is in a slotted hole, another is clear in the back, and the is a center one along the side. Got this mess back onto the floor, to work on the top a bit...
    Needed flattened, front and right edge needed trimmed down..
    IMG_2754 (640x480).jpg
    Then set this out of the way, until tomorrow
    IMG_2756 (640x480).jpg
    When I can get the face frame installed. Then maybe a drawer, and a door or two? Stay tuned...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-02-2018 at 5:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Seenings how the Dungeon Shop is below ground, in a basement.....Weather outside is in the single digits..above zero....ground temp is falling...may need to wear a sweater to the shop today....4+" of the white crap on the ground outside.....I HATE WINTER!
    My garage shop has two electric heaters running full tilt to keep it warm at 4 degrees outside. And it is insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Today being a Monday, AND a Holiday...woodshop is closed for the day. Have a Happy New Year, people!
    ...and a happy new year to you as well.

Staying tuned...

Since the Dugeon Shop is in the basement....seems to stay fairly warm....

Errands were run today. Then a wee bit of shopwork....Used the coarse grit belt sander to try to hog down a few high spots....sander didn't like all the Ash dust it was eating..went with an older standby..
    IMG_2760 (640x480).jpg
    Junior Jack, by Millers Falls. Made a big mess on the floor..
    IMG_2758 (640x480).jpg
    yeah....and on me. What good news there was, today....
    IMG_2762 (640x480).jpg
    When I took the face frame out of the clamps...it didn't blow apart....test the drawer opening against the drawer front blank I WAS going to use....3" too smaller, side to side, but a tight fit..top to bottom...figures. Guess the blank will now become a raised panel, inone of the doors.

Going to need a few extra hands, later. And about every clamp I can find, when I go to glue the face frame in place....might even make R. Lee Ermy blush, from all the cussing that will go on

Had to break up a cat fight....and throw a Tom out the back door......now have a BIG hole in the palm of my hand. First aid for that, and Tater Tot Casserole for supper
    I think the shop can wait until tomorrow....stay tuned.

Hope you don't get Cat Scratch Fever steven. By the way, your project is coming along nicely. Why is it called a "step back cupboard"?

There will be an upper cabinet to this base cabinet, and the front of the upper "steps back" from the front of the base unit. Like setting a book case on it.

Errands had to be ran today, by order of the Boss. She can't drive, so I guess I have to.....

Had to write this up as a series of blogs on another site....took a long time to type them all out, dig through the pictures, and tell the story....and it took three chapters!....

Maybe tomorrow, I'll just go and hide out in the shop..all day. Once I can get that face frame attached, I can start either on the drawer or build two raised panel doors...depends on how I do with the face frame install, and how tired I get. COPD seems to have a way of making me tired....

Stay tuned.....if you happen to see a "Blue Streak" flying by...it just means I am having a bit of "fun" in the shop.....

Got bored...went to to shop, just to change out the cutter on the Stanley #45......#12 became a #13.....one thing lead to another....grooves on the face frame are now a tad wider..towards the outside edge. Royal PITA to do a groove wider, but got them done. Then, I did find one of the few Veritas tools in my shop....a 3/8" cutter to make 3/8" tapered plugs.....

Figured a way to hold the frame, so I could run a forstner bit in 9 places on the frame.....Cordless drills were needing charged up. I then got out a Vintage drill...a 3/8" Corded Wards Powr Kraft electric drill, with a keyed chuck. Already had a pilot bit in it, too. Drilled 9 holes and then put stuff away...back started to stiffen up, breathing was acting up...and..I was working up a sweat, can't have that.
    Have about everything ready for tomorrow's shop time....Clamps laid out, glue bottle ready, fresh battery in the 18v drills...maybe I can get the frame installed..by Lunch?

Stay tuned...

And...pictures..
    Stanley 45.jpg
    Stanley 45 T-20 SW set up with a #13 straight cutter.....
    Ward's drill.jpg
    Ward's POWRKRAFT 3/8" drill..vintage? Yellow box is the Forstner set I have used for years. Needed the 3/8" bit....
    plug cutter.jpg
    One of the very few Veritas toys I have in the shop. A 3/8" tapered plug cutter bit.
    holes.jpg
    Needed 9 of these counter-bores drilled....that was fun. Trying to get each spot under the drill bit on the drill press, and still reach the handle to drill the holes.
    ready to go.jpg
    Set the frame in place....it even fits! Got the clamps all lined up and handy. Screws and glue and set out to where I can reach them. Batteries for the drill/drivers are charged up. Maybe after Lunch, the cussing can begin? Still thinking I need an extra pair of hands for this.....or just work faster