Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Step back cupboard, a build thread

Laid out the locations for two web frames..
    web frame locations.jpg
    By using the drawer front blank, and allowing for the face frame around the opening..
    set ups.jpg
    Yep, that is a corded router sitting there. I also set up where the two shelves would go, and marked center lines..
    centerline.jpg
    I used the square to measure from the center of a router bit, out to the edge of the router's base...3". Square was then used to set up a guide fence
    fence steup 1.jpg
    I have a Home-Made fence, that works to guide routers, circular saws, and can be clamped as a rip fence on Jobsite saws.
    fence set up 2.jpg
    Under the far end, there is a cleat, set 90 degrees to the side of the fence. Couple clamps to hold the fence in place is all that is needed. I did check with a larger square, the same one I used to lay out these locations...
    big square.jpg
    Will be using this sort of router bit, to make a sliding dovetail, to house the plywood shelves..
    router bit.jpg
    But, since everyone was asleep in the house, I'll have to wait a while. I also have a edge guide for this router, will set it up to do the ends of the shelves.
    Once the sockets are done (all four, 2 per side)and the shelves are cut to size, I can set the edge guide ( without changing the bit's settings) to make the "tails" on the edge of the plywood.

Unsure right now about any dado or groove to house the webframes.....also need a rebate along the back edge of the sides, for a back panel. Those may get cut with a plane..or two.

Stay tuned

That older jitterbug saw looks familiar - an older DeWalt? You are right about a tailed router and sleeping nearby - ain't happening.
    David

Sabre saw is a B&D....There is also an all metal version in the house....

The "sleeping Beauties upstairs are FINALLY stirring around......maybe in an hour or so...I can get back to work...

Wasn't that great of a day....got one panel done..
    two grooves.jpg
    Used this to lay out the other panel to match....got all the lines done, got things set up to run the router again.....got about this for..
    ooops.jpg
    When this happened..
    snapped.jpg
    Grrrrr, needed to try to use that spare bit....but, the single flute bit merely burned it's way across. Took a few tries to find a place that sells a bit...Menard's had CMT Orange box bits,,,,With all the running around today.....shopping wasn't going to good...
    new bit.jpg
    Wire wheel was from H-F..yep, they had dt bits, IF you buy the entire set...NOT. Same with Lowes..Not. I picked a saw blade for my little 6" SKIL saw..
    goodies.jpg
    Figured I can use it to cut a couple plywood panels.
    Maybe tomorrow, I can get back to work? Stay tuned....

Time out for Lunch!....New saw blade is installed...will see how it goes later today...
    New router bit? Cuts like a new router bit...
    IMG_2682 (640x480).jpg
    Had to readjust the depth, was a hair shallow. With that out of the way, back to hand plane work...
    IMG_2680 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    Set up the #45 with a 3/16" tongue cutter bit. Results are on the left..
    IMG_2681 (640x480).jpg
    Face frame will get a matching groove. Mainly to align the glue joint, and add a bit more surface for the glue...The Chisel Dresser sticks out for a reason...
    IMG_2683 (640x480).jpg
    Gives the slab something to rest on. Got the front edges of both panels done...
    IMG_2684 (640x480).jpg
    Lots of "Crunchies" I needed to keep swept up. Reset the Stanley 45..
    IMG_2695 (640x480).jpg
    Used a #17 straight cutter, barely had to adjust anything but the fence, had to cut a rebate..
    IMG_2689 (640x480).jpg
    A few knots along the way....finally got down to where a 1/4" piece of plywood will set flush to the outside..
    IMG_2692 (640x480).jpg
    Got the rebates done, set the panels aside, and the Stanley 45. Needed to get these joints made, so I can size the shelves, and web frames better. Don't want them sticking out the back of the case.

Maybe after a Lunch Break, I can size two plywood shelves. Maybe mill a dovetail on the ends? Then build two webframes?

With the "Snowstorm" coming in today, might be a good idea to just stay home and in the shop?
    Stay tuned ( what's fer Lunch?)

Had to wait until after Supper, but, this Vintage saw..
    IMG_2696 (640x480).jpg
    Worked just fine, to break down some 3/4" plywood for the two shelves....once I figured out what sizes I needed. To make the matching dovetail for the sliding dovetail joint, I added a fence to the router....and left the bit alone..
    IMG_2700 (640x480).jpg
    Had to clamp an extra board along the edge of the plywood, for something the router could slide on....panels were a tad bowed ( BORG plywood) so the extra board helped flatten that out...at least until I could make this cut...
    IMG_2701 (640x480).jpg
    Two clamps for this part, and..
    IMG_2699 (640x480).jpg
    A leg vise, and a c clamp for this part. Had to make 8 cuts, two on each end, to make two shelves...was finally able to "hammer" things together...
    IMG_2702 (640x480).jpg
    No glue was needed. I set the blank for the top in place...
    IMG_2704 (640x480).jpg
    And figured that was enough, for one day's work. More to do, but it can wait til tomorrow.....
    Stay tuned..

Have the Stanley #2246 Mitre box set up on the bench. I suppose I should meander down and start building two webframes? Maybe cut and install a back on the case?

Maybe rip some Ash to make the face frame. All the above beats looking out the window..4" on the ground, and still snowing. Will be a good week to hibernate in the shop.

Sooo, maybe a bit of Brunch ( 2nd Breakfast, according to Pippen?) then off the the Dungeon?

Started hauling items to the shop, and forgot about Second Breakfast...oh well....Had a problem down in the shop, Drill I had been using, the battery died..
    IMG_2705 (640x480).jpg
    Brought down both chargers....only to find one didn't work any longer...I have a spare drill in the shop, to use while the battery gets charged up...but..
    IMG_2706 (640x480).jpg
    I can't get TO the dang thing. Sooo...
    IMG_2707 (640x480).jpg
    Good thing I have a third drill handy....of course, it was upstairs...
    I also set up a "sliding mitresaw"...
    IMG_2708 (640x480).jpg
    You were expecting something with a cord? Got the rest of the divider web frame pieces cut to length. Then cut some tenons..
    IMG_2709 (640x480).jpg
    I tend to do tenons first. Then I set up a little jig...
    IMG_2710 (640x480).jpg
    Doesn't look like much? Have had this jig for a few years....
    IMG_2711 (640x480).jpg
    This is for mortise work. On these dividers, I saw a bit on the end, chop a hole at the other end of the mortise, and just pop the waste out.
    IMG_2712 (640x480).jpg
    Test fit.
    Stay tuned, more to be told to this story...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-30-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Ok, part 2 of this morning's episode..

Once all four corners were done....some glue and a few small nails were used. Used a clamp to pull things tight. Checked for square.
    I use a "kicker" to keep a drawer from tipping down, when you open the drawer a bit too much..
    Attachment 374959
    The kicker cane be close to the center. It does not actually guide anything. Drawers back will rub along it, about all. Really not needed to be perfectly square.

I drilled a few pilot holes so I can attach this frame to the top of the case...Needed a clamp to hold things a bit..
    Attachment 374960
    Three screws on each end. The center one has a spot of glue. I drilled the holes slightly over sized. The case's top will also get attached to this frame, using slotted holes. So far, so good...
    Attachment 374962
    Still need to build the frame the drawer will slide on....there will be wooden guides along the sides. Might also start on the face frame...
    Letting Lunch settle, first, then we'll see want else happens in the shop..
    Stay tuned
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-30-2017 at 7:09 PM.

Not sure what happened to those three photos in the last post, oh well..

Get the other webframe assembled, and installed.....this one doesn't need the kicker,though..
    IMG_2716 (640x480).jpg
    Same as before, three screws on each end, through oversized holes..
    IMG_2717 (640x480).jpg
    On the way to the shop, I picked out another Ash board....have plans for it..
    IMG_2718 (640x480).jpg
    Well, I WAS going to use this D-23...until I found out the teeth's set was almost gone (will fix THAT some other day) so the cross cut was done with an older saw
    IMG_2721 (640x480).jpg
    A Disston D-112. Then set up the bandsaw....
    IMG_2723 (640x480).jpg
    Yep, the same fence I used for the router, works decently enough here. Need two stiles @ 1-1/2 wide..
    IMG_2722 (640x480).jpg
    I got two decent ones, and a third not so decent one out of the one part of the 4/4 x 6....the bad one has a warped end....

Ok, next episode, as I have a bit more than 8 pictures....stay tuned...

Where was I..? Ok, there was a shorter cut-off from that plank. I ran it through the saw..
    IMG_2724 (640x480).jpg
    Needed three "rails" got two good ones, and one with a bit of bark still on board....Did some measuring, cut these three to the length needed, and that curvy long board as well. Cut was just before the curved part started...may keep the waney edge piece..
    IMG_2725 (640x480).jpg
    And make the bottom rail a wee bit wider? And, leave the waney edge showing.
    Figured I had done enough for one day....closed up the shop. Maybe tomorrow, I may get something else done?
    Stay tuned...

How is the temperature in your shop? Mine warmed up a little the last couple of days, but is due to drop back down again. I keep my glue in the house and have emptied my sharpening stone baths. Chisels and planes are sharp for now, so all OK on that front.
    David

It was -17 F outside my shop yesterday morning, the same today. Inside a not quite comfortable 20 F. Can't do much in that temperature. My little heater doesn't keep up. I have an epoxy glue up to do ( need some gap filling for some sliding dovetails). They will have to wait. Maybe Monday I can bring it inside.

It was a bit chilly in my workshop today. (+) 68 F.

Shop is in a basement......right now, I may need to wear a sweater down there. 4" of snow on the ground outside, and flurries today. The furnace does have a vent into the basement....

Need to set up the Stanley 45 to plough a groove, after I get the edges of the stiles jointed. May have to get the No. 0-7 out of the til for that. Maybe after "Second Breakfast", eh?