Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 36-454 for First Table Saw?

Delta 36-454 for First Table Saw?

Hi all! I wanted to get some thoughts on the Delta 36-454 as a first table saw and what a fair price might be. I found one on Craigslist (see photo) and the owner is asking $650 but that seems a bit high to me. From what I could find it looks like the going rate for that setup might be around $400-$450 but I'm not really sure.

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PS - This is my first post and it really seems like you guys have a great community here. Looking forward to being a part of it.

00L0L_h2UeiOHTHvj_600x450.jpg

~Matt

Yes that is a great first saw.

Yes it seems that price is on the high side. But, is it worth that much to you? It depends upon your budget and how long you want to wait to save a few bucks. I really like that fence. In my area I don't often see nice saws come available especially with that particular fence. Some people want a great bargain in everything they purchase. Others are willing to pay a little more for something nice if it is what they want. (I am in the latter camp) A lot depends upon your used saw market.

The positives:
    1. It's a good model.
    2. It's got a GREAT fence
    3. It's got the cast iron left wing.
    4. It's got a mobile base.
    5. It looks to be in very good condition.

For me the two negatives are: price and no riving knife. Both of those can be overcome.

It doesn't hurt to go with some cash in hand and make an offer. (I find that ploy isn't nearly as effective on the phone vs in person).

If I were looking for a saw I would jump on it and try to negotiate a little better price. I would be willing to pay that price if I had to. YMMV.
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 12-22-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I’m a relative newbie to woodworking, and have an older version of this saw, and it’s a beast (in a good way). The Unifence on the saw is highly regarded, and easy to use.

Can’t speak to the price, but the table extension and mobile base are both pluses. The saw appears to be in good shape. Best of luck!

It's only OK. For that amount you might find the much better Unisaw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    It's only OK. For that amount you might find the much better Unisaw.
    A lot depends upon your local market. A Unisaw that nice around here goes for $1500 or more when they do come up. An older Unisaw with the old jetlock fence and no mobile base comes up once in a blue moon and they are usually $800 or more.

Here is an example. These are the only 3 saws I would consider in my area (excluding price)

https://swva.craigslist.org/tls/d/de...381165807.html Delta contractors saw, metal wings, no mobile base, jetlock fence. $385

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls...430494487.html Delta contractors saw, metal wings, Unifence, outfeed table, replacement motor (first one probably failed) $500

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls...395620440.html Nice cabinet saw with mobility base. $1500 which is a nearly new price.

If I were looking to purchase a used saw and your listing was in my area, that is the one I would purchase.

So..... It all depends upon your market.
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 12-22-2017 at 6:18 PM. Reason: Grizzly G0690
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

It's a good first time table saw. In fact, I have almost that identical saw except mine is the Platinum Edition. Even has that Made In USA on the front of it. Bought it 15ish years ago here in Central Texas for $500-$550 IIRC. I still use it even though I've upgraded to a '47 Delta Unisaw. Hard to say if that's a good price on the saw or not. I sure hope I can get that for mine when the day comes that I look to sell it. What do table saws go for in your area? Does it need any work or is it totally ready to go when you get it home? How do the bearings sound? Is the table top flat? For what it's worth, I think the asking price is high. Does it come with a great blade like a Forest Woodworker II? Hope any of this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses, they've been helpful! I think I'll go take a look at it in person and if everything checks out maybe try to negotiate a bit with the seller.

I’ve got a nice Unisaw for sale

Thanks Bob. I saw your post but SC is a bit too far for me. I'm in the northern Maryland area.

My first "real" saw was pretty much a very similar Delta contractor's style saw with the same UniFence. Great setup. I don't know if the asking price is good or not...I haven't paid attention to that market.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is a far better saw than what I learned on (1956 Craftsman 9") and used until I was nearly 30. Between my dad and I, that saw made a lot of furniture and two garages, though.

Price definitely will depend on the local market. Some places are not the used tool meccas that other places are. I've always wondered where that town was where you always can get get the used machines you are looking for at a reasonable price. It's the same town with the supply house with all the parts you need to repair those used machines, no matter what the age. It also has the flea market where you can buy vintage chisels and rare planes in great condition for only a few dollars a piece. It also has the lumber yard with the wood that has grain that gently rises in one direction.

I've never found that town
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 12-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.

That fence alone would be worth 2-250. To me a table saw is only as good as the fence that is on it, so no matter where you go from that saw in the future you have all the fence you’ll ever need. As far as contractor saws go that’s as nice of one as there is so it really seems like a no brainer to me. If you can’t spend 800-1000 to get an older uni saw or a pm66 then it’s really a no brainer.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 12-23-2017 at 7:19 PM.

My first table saw was a low end Craftsman contractor with a horrible fence. I would’ve loved to start out on that Delta. Around here $650 would be a good deal.

Yeah, I'm just thinking that at $650 I'm close to the money of a used cabinet saw. For example, there's a 1990 3HP Powermatic Model 66 for sale locally for $1000. It's got a mobile base, 50" extension, Biesemeyer fence. It's funny the longer you look the higher your budget gets - I'm now strongly considering that saw. I tell myself: "it's just a little more and you'll probably never need anything else". LOL
    Last edited by Matt Stites; 12-23-2017 at 8:47 PM.

If in good condition the PM cabinet saw is a huge upgrade from that contractors saw. Make him an offer of $900.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."