Thread: Dust collection layout

Dust collection layout

Hi there,

Ive recently purchased a new felder rl 350 dust collector for my new shop. I have my layout mostly figured out but im trying to figure out what size of piping to use. The machine takes a 14" pipe. Id like to keep the main trunk as large as possible and have branches coming off to each machine. Im assuming there is a maximum volume of ducting i can install for the collector but I dont really know how to calculate that.

My shop is around 30 x 50'. Collector will be in one corner. Plan is to run main trunk along ceiling about 8' in from the wall. Hoping 12" to 14". Ill have a number of machines hooked up but will have gates on each machine so i could keep the collector under 5000cfm.

Does anyone know how to figure out max volume of duct network. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

This is the one I play with to see what effects an idea or change will make.

http://www.freecalc.com/ductloss.htm

I do not think there is really a empty volume consideration. The unused trunks have no flow so they are literally out of the equation. You need to keep the air velocity high enough to keep chips moving. Overly long or small diameter runs will increase friction. If you calculate the circular area it is easy enough to calculate the flow per minute needed to maintain a given velocity.
    A 14" pipe sounds like a huge fan size. How many Horsepower?
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-23-2017 at 8:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A 14" pipe sounds like a huge fan size. How many Horsepower?
    4705 CFM? It's a beast.
    https://www.felder-group.com/us-us/p...0--350-mm.html

There is not a simple answer to your question. An efficient design for the duct work will have different diameters for each branch to each machine. You need to maintain a minimum duct velocity of 3500 feet per minute (fpm). Your collection unit is designed consistent with that need since its nominal air volume is 4000 cfm with a duct cross section of about 1.1. sq ft.

For about $100, you can buy a copy of the Industrial Ventilation Manual from ACIGH. You will only need a few chapters in the book for your specific application. Depending on what part of the world you live, it can guide you through the complicated design process in order to minimize operational expenses such as exhausting conditioned air. It will also give you the best criteria to control installation costs. After all, it costs a lot more money to run 14" duct when 8" would be sufficient.

Felder may also have additional useful and specific information. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

A DC of that size is designed to run with multiple blast gates open at one time. You don't mention your machine or what you are doing so personally with a monster of this size I would contact the company that you are going to be buying the ducting from and get them to design your system. As an example Norfab and others offer this service. Felder even offer this service and I'm surprised they didn't offer it when you bought the machine.

Felder's ducting guy has been off ever since i bought the collector neither of the ducting companys i've contacted have done anything so it seems to be on me now to get things going.

I run a shop in Ontario manufacturing wooden windows and doors. Ill have a 24" planer, a 12" jointer, 2 shapers, a radial arm saw, a table saw, and a single end tenoner, and 23" bandsaw. Shop generally runs with 2 guys.

I'm NW of Toronto and I will see if I still have a couple of contacts that may be able to help. I dropped dealing with Felder in Mississuaga for various issues. I personally would plan on running the 14" main duct to maintain air flow and CFM. Use 6" or 7" drops to individual machine locations, then reduce to individual machines sizes. Of course shop shape will dictate a lot. It sounds like you will have multiple machines running at any given time and the DC should be more than adequate to keep the air following. PM me if you want to discuss suppliers or other info.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post

For some reason I was thinking Festool
    Bill

This will give you a good start:

https://airhand.com/designing/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cherry View Post
    This will give you a good start:

https://airhand.com/designing/
    Thats what I read after buying a cabinet shops nordfab and a 10 hp cyclone. It confirmed id be good

That airhand doc is a good read

Hanging 16" duct in my shop right now. Prepping for my 30hp cyclone to go up. I would stick with biggest main you can. Big ducts will always have a permanent level of dust that lays in them. Never taking any down in any kind of shop that didn't have dust laying in the bottom.