Thread: oak finish expectation

oak finish expectation

So I have a nearly unending supply of 3x8x8' oak that I turn into boards on the Laguna band saw. Every now and then I get a surprise. Like this piece (and 3 matching pcs). This is whats called tiger stripe, yes? And can expect the stripes to remain light, with a red ok stain, while the remainder is dark?
    oak.jpg

thx for the help

That's really nice...looks very much like the effect that QS Sycamore comes out with. How it reacts to "stain" is likely related to the specific products you choose to use, not just for coloration, but also for penetration and top-coating. It's always best to test with the products you intend to use on samples of the material in the project to be sure what's going to happen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like quarter sawn to me. You can accentuate the contrast if you dye it and then sand it lightly, or you can mute the contrast with gel stain.

John

Thx John - but am I right that the stripes will remain lighter?

The best answer is that 'It depends". Dye, flooded on will give relatively even coloration, but as John mentioned, sanding will accentuate the stripes. A pigment stain will also accentuate the stripes since the pigments don't penetrate as deeply into the "flake" or "stripe". Gel stain, if applied and then wiped vigorously, will act similarly to pigment stain that is more liquid, but, gel stain can be applied with wiping only to even the appliation so the pigment can cover up the flake. Personally if I want a even coloration with only modest contrast I go for the dye method without sanding. Dye doesn't cover the detail of the wood nearly as much as the pigment stains, liquid or gel.

Thats not oak - its sycamore...

Sycamore can be tricky to stain - because it doesn't always take stain evenly....

Google "Wood Medullary Rays"

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 01-10-2018 at 2:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Thats not oak - its sycamore...

Sycamore can be tricky to stain - because it doesn't always take stain evenly....
    I concur. That top board sure looks like QS sycamore.