Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bosch Reaxx saw worst tool I have ever owned in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Marty View Post
    Get over your grudge for one man and buy the better product. I've never read a negative review of the SawStop jobsite saw
    I will give you a negative review as it's pretty horrible in many ways. They did an amazing job of designing an easily movable stand that will move around that heavy pig. That's about the end of the "good" unless you consider the excess weight helping make smooth cuts. Weight is not exactly what you want in a jobsite saw.
    The fence and the throatplate are beyond horrible. Nobody is making a ZCI for that stupid throatplate. I'm not a Dewalt fan in general but they make the best jobsite saws. The fence really makes or breaks a jobsite saw and they really nailed that. Dust collection is quite good also.
    Now if they just gave it a deeper distance to the blade, an induction motor, and a standard sized miter slot..........

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    This is probably what is going to happen and it will be bitter but as much as I don't want to support that knucklehead in anyway it really has more to do with how disappointed I am in how incredibly terrible the Reaxx is in every way.
    For the record, SawStop is now part of the Festool family.</p>
    <p>
    I have used the SS jobsite saw only a couple of times (I use the SS industrial or PCS most of the time), but have not experienced anything remotely close to what you shared about the Reaxx. The SS jobsite fence is filmsy compared to the one on the industrial/PCS saw, but it does not require constant corrections as you described. In the review quoted below, its fence is considered the best among those tested. The throat plate or insert was flush on table but I don't know if it is difficult to get it that way.</p>
    <p>
    Unless lack of space is the reason or movability is the argument, I would not advise anyone to take either the jobsite or the contractor SS. Any serious woodworkers, hobbyist or production, would do themselves a favor to get a PCS or Ind. if SS is being considered.</p>
    <p>
    SS has a way to test the wood to see if a misfire could happen.Does your Reaxx have that feat ure?</p>
    <p>
    If you are still considering to get a jobsite saw, this review might be of interest to you: https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/corded/saws/best-portable-jobsite-table-saw-shootout/24024/</p>
    <p>
    Simon</p>
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2017 at 8:11 PM.

I have the Dewalt DWE7491RS and agree with Greg. I am no fan of Dewalt tools normally but wanted a portable table saw and thought this was the best of the affordable ones. I am impressed with it for the price. Yea a larger table surface, normal miter slot and real motor would put it over the top but I can live with that for the 500 I paid. I looked at the SS unit and was not impressed. Looked at the Bosch and Rigid but the Dewalt seemed better designed. Easy to move and load, easy to erect.

Kieth I have a solution for you. I have used most of the small 'jobsite' saws and was never really impressed with any of them. I bought a Delta contractor saw and built my own plywood base under it on 6'' casters. the saw has a Biesmeyer fence and a two horse motor. I also installed a good switch and a built in heavy gauge cord about 15' long. I have a space at the back of my tool trailer the saw rides in. Works awesome,great fence,accurate,powerful,stable. Only thing wrong is a bit heavy but I would never go back. We pull the motor off to put it in the trailer. Mike.

This by far makes the most sense to me. I'd prefer the weight of a better tool/machine than the frustrations of compromised work and wasted time.

I don't have any experience on job site saws but they don't sound inviting, or like a tool that lasts for long. Seems like a better investment would modifying a contractor saw for mobility and then the truck/trailer for loading & transportation would be a better long term decision. My field work experience was in warehouse equipment and we lugged around heavy equipment all the time. Flat bed trucks and dock levelers made it possible though. Not sure what would be feasible for residential work but those job site saws sound like a pain in butt.

The now discontinued dewalt 744 was the best job site saw ever made and the fence is amazing on it. I wish they would have made an upgraded version of that saw. That table on the 749 just seems so small to me. The only other complaint I have is that the fence has no support underneath of it once it leaves the table and when your cutting 1/4 inch material which is a lot of what I do it sags underneath the fence and becomes a problem. I thought about making my own piece to attach to it but never got around to it. If I decide to run the saw over or shoot it to pieces I will make sure to make a video of it and post. I'm heavily leaning that way as I had to use it today and for the fourth day in a row I had to readjust the fence after gently caring it from the trailer to the house and setting it up it was off by an 1/8the of an inch.

Keith, I am very sorry to hear, but I must admit I am lol at your post. Honestly, I didn’t read through all 4 pages of responses, but if you do go at it with your tractor, could you post video? Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I don't know why Bosch didn't manufacture the saw with a longer power cord, but this statement is more likely a liability clause required by the attorneys. With a short power cord, Bosch cannot possibly test every combination of extension cords that owners might use and still retain the various certifications for its consumers.

I do not have a way to compare tools between the two markets, but all of my European Bosch and Dewalt corded tools have very long power cords and I rarely need an extension cord. The REAXX saw is not sold in Europe, most likely because there is no market for it.
    Mike
    You are correct. It has everything to do with liability. The stuff I've seen done with extension cords is amazing.
    The 24" length of the cord is more than likely based on the wire gauge of that cord, the maximum length it can be, and still carry the required current. This would probably be part of the machines UL rating here in the US. I was just looking at the absurdity of only having 24" of cord length between the machine and any given available outlet. That would be very constraining.
    I bought a 5HP air compressor that was required to be hardwired into the panel to maintain it's warranty. It's on a 25' 8/3 SO cord cable, with a 30 amp twist lock plug. That warranty was voided before the end of the first day I had it. I suspect the same is true with this saw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm trying to visualize using a table saw that has to be within two feet of an outlet, and it ain't pretty.

Blog Entries
    I have a ten year old 10" Delta table saw that runs on 220 volts. It has the wide table with a uni-fence. It takes no prisoners. .
    I bought it new. My grandchildren will probably use it some day.

Buy cheap toy and cry every time you use it. Buy a good toy and cry when you pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I'm trying to visualize using a table saw that has to be within two feet of an outlet, and it ain't pretty.
    Full disclosure, in all of my venting I may have exaggerated this cord length, I have never actaully measured the cord but it can't be longer then 36" it's just not long enough to ever be used without an extension cord where as my dewalt I rarely use an extension cord.

The 4100 and the Reaxx share almost no parts except the stupid fence. That nice stand you were talking about is a piece of junk and way to lightly made for the Reaxx which must be substantially heavier then the 4100.
    Total BS. I've owned a 12" Bosch miter saw mounted on the gravity stand for about 6 years....that stand is awesome.

Next time you make a purchase consider a warranty...highly recommended for avoiding high blood pressure.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I really need a nice job site saw and I really can't stand Steve gass or "sawstop guy" so I found a reaxx unopened for a grand.
    Sorry about your frustration Keith. All the googling I do says the Reaxx comes with a 6 foot cord. So if the box was unopened somethings wrong if it's got a 2 or 3 ft cord. Maybe someone carefully opened it, abused it and resealed it?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Keith , I'm not going to tell you what's best for you or what you should like , but from your comments and observations in this thread it sure seems like you're a bit uninformed and perhaps introduced user error into some of the issues you experienced with the Bosch saw.
    Already pointed out is the reason they stopped selling it ,which was not because of the issues you experienced.
    Then the cord length which you didn't describe accurately.
    Miter gauges on portable saws stink (even Mafell's) in comparison with precision ones guys have for shop saws. Ditto with the blades that come with jobsite saws. They stink in comparison to quality aftermarket blades and shouldn't be relied on to make smooth cuts on cabinet grade sheetgoods or hardwood.
    The dewalt fence has a folding/articulating portion to support material once it leaves the table. It has since the 744 rollout decades ago. The one I had turn of the century needed calibration out of the box before it would cut square.
    I think many will disagree with you on the fence cursor thing too. If it's absolutely critical , it gets measured from the blade tooth to the fence. No matter if the fence is on a ryobi, unisaw, or a Martin slider. The notable exception is a digital motorized fence that's calibrated each session like a Tigerstop. Cursors on jobsite saws are notorious for getting moved, bumped ect. especially if there are multiple users. Then your calibration and expensive sheet of mahogany ply are off and you're pulling out the tape measure anyway.
    Plus a few more.
    I understand it's not the best saw out there , but this is a bit if a hatchet job.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-29-2017 at 7:39 AM.

Keith, page 6 of the owners manual (available online) has a section that explains the proper use of extension cords with the saw. It explains that you can use extension cords, but that you need to use the right gauge. It then includes a chart that shows what gauge of wire must be used for a given length of cord (measured in both feet and meters to make it as simple as possible for those too lazy to convert). While many manuals are difficult to follow, this section of the Bosch manual is very clearly laid out in simple-to-understand terms and charts.

And if someone doesn't have time to read the whole manual (or do a search for the word "extension," which brings up the desired section immediately in the online manual), then the troubleshooting section at page 36 clearly explains that if you are having problems, you need to make sure you are using the proper gauge extension cord.

In these and many other places, the manual makes it clear that extension cords are OK. If someone from Bosch told you otherwise, then they were clearly wrong. Which is why, when it comes to technical information, I usually RTM before calling customer service. And, if some customer service rep tells me something that is clearly absurd (like, "you can't use extension cords with our jobsite tools"), then I usually go back and RTM once again to see if they are right.

I don't own a Reaxx and am not interested in buying one. However, it may be possible that you would find solutions to some of the other problems you describe solved if you read and followed the directions. Just a thought.

Here is a link to the owner's manual in case you have had difficulty finding it: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/ocs...15_GTS1031.pdf
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-29-2017 at 7:41 AM.