Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: froe vs hatchet vs what else? for splitting bracing

froe vs hatchet vs what else? for splitting bracing

Hey Creekers,

Merry post-christmas. I hope nothing crazy happened while I was avoiding the news.

I'm working on a few guitars/ukuleles, and want to split spruce braces.
    Previously, I'd just use a Chinese kitchen knife "cleaver")...but felt like there's a better way.

What would you guys recommend?

Shingling froe? hatchet? something else?

Blog Entries
    For my small splitting needs a mini froe was made from an old planer blade:

Mini-Froe.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Would one of the Batoning Chisels that LV sells work for you?

It probably could.

I like Jim's idea better though....likely, I'll be splitting on a brick/concrete surface...so it'd destroy anything tempered hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    It probably could.

I like Jim's idea better though....likely, I'll be splitting on a brick/concrete surface...so it'd destroy anything tempered hard.
    One of the best assistants someone can have when splitting wood is a section of stump to work on. If you are doing this on a floor, then a block of wood will suffice.

My "Neander Stool" doubles as my chopping block:

Neander Stool.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I like your style.

When I get access to my car again, I'll need to look for a stump off craigslist...or not.
    Currently, my woodworking stuff is at my office.

Dovetailing teeth...easy.
    Dovetailing wood...harder...with my setup at least.

Any froe or froe-like gizmo will work - I used a reground firmer for a few years, but a nice smaller froe is handy for the sort of red and sitka stock I get from my suppliers. FWIW, I don't split out every brace, but instead split out a reference face that follows the grain and shows the runout at 90 degrees. A pass through the bandsaw handles the second cut, and some jack plane work gets the billet ready to rip up and plane to final dimensions. Spruce varies widely in stiffness, so remember to either mark the bracing stock with the billet of origin or do some deflection testing to watch up sticks, or - preferably - do both.

Blog Entries
    The chair guys frequently make a notch in a workpiece and pull toward it with a drawknife to split off sections of wood. Several old drawknives I bought were obviously hammered through workpieces as the tops of the blades were dented and needed to be ground flat or rounded again. Not suggesting this is good technique for using a drawnife, but it does suggest people used drawknives for small splitting chores. A wedge with a wider blade and narrower bevel might work too. Most wedges you can find these days are relatively crude tools with steep bevels that are hard to do delicate work with.

9. I generally use a short wide chisel. It's a bit of a juggle to balance the wood, the chisel and the mallet but for the amount of riving I do it's adequate.

Blog Entries
    This hatchet is also a nice wood splitter:

Hatchet & Chisel.jpg

Like a hewing axe it is only beveled on one side.

It is great for splitting kindling.

jtk

So far I have only split kindling in the manner you are referring to, but I find I have more control with a froe but I get more heft with a hatchet, so which I use depends a lot on what I am trying to split.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    I just won an auction for a couple wedge/maul heads. I plan to handle them. The end result follows the line of thought in the two posts above. Wedges, axes, froes with handles, are easier to place, make leverage with, and remove from splits than wedges without handles.

I learned a little about splitting at Country Workshops from Drew Langsner. He used wedges and gluts on whole logs. He started partial log splits with hafted axes/hatchets (struck with a large dogwood mallet instead of a hammer) then moved to a hafted froe when the pieces got smaller (again struck with a large mallet). A hammer or small sledge may damage/crack an axe or froe. He tried to get the maximum number of billets(blanks) from any piece of wood. Splitting IMHO has become a lost art. I have been working hard on a better set of tools and skills for making splits. Tools for this work have faded away, being replaced by table saws and bandsaws. There are still a good many advantages to splitting though. If you choose trees and logs wisely, splitting can be easy and provide much improved grain patterns. Quarter sawing pales before a well split piece of wood.

in my experience thus far, our old friend sharpening turns out to be just as relevant in splitting. A sharp tool with a gradual bevel works better if you want to work precisely.

5389AC99-3FEA-4AC1-B329-DE90E5416843.jpg

Here is what I use on my concrete floor, no cracks so far.

I am working on something better:

9E871380-56E5-4AA6-B62A-2032258E8561.jpg

If I could just get the dog off my work!

C365AA67-E56B-4F10-AC0B-F7BECAAFC226.jpg

There is a reason I have been working on a larger selection of dogwood mallets, metal hammers wear or even crack the steel used in many splitting wedges, axes, froes.....still experimenting.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-01-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I just won an auction for a couple wege/maul heads. I plan to handle them. The end result is sort of like the two posts above mention. Wedges, axes, froes with handles, are easier to place, make leverage with, and remove from splits than wedges without handles.

I learned a little about splitting at Country Workshops from Drew Langsner. He used wedges and gluts on whole logs. He started partial log splits with hafted axes/hatchets, then moved to a hafted froe when the pieces got smaller. He tried to get the maximum number of billets(blanks) from any piece of wood. Splitting IMHO has become sort of a lost art. I have been working hard on a better set of tools and skills for making splits. Tools for this work have sort of faded away, being replaced by table saws and bandsaws. There are still a good many advantages to splitting though. If you choose trees and logs wisely, splitting can be easy and provide much improved grain patterns. Quarter sawing pales before a well split piece of wood.
    Splitting, or riving is truly a handy skill to develop, particularly having some insights into how the wood in your hands or at your feet is likely to want to split and then knowing how to steer or exercise some control over the split, maybe even in contradiction to what that piece itself would otherwise do on its own. The handy exercise is to split green branches, a diameter of a thumb or index finger, around a meter in length starting the split with a good knife and then simply feeling and watching the run of the split. Very satisfying activity, I learned it for myself splitting out wattle for building my workshop. Ash, willow most will do but my favorite was hazel.

FWIW, a froe is really a Levering tool. After the froe is driven into the wood starting the split, it is gradually worked down opening the split as you use the handle to lever the split open. The split can be steered to keep it from running out to one side by placing the wood in a brake and levering the thicker side down. Like most other skills, it takes some practice.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Yikes guys!!!!! No no no!!!! No big froes... Certainly not splitting wedges or mauls... Even chisels work poorly for carefully splitting out guitar bracing.

Splitting guitar bracing is fine work:... We split off 1/4" and 1/2" wide by 1/2" to 3/4" thick straight grain splits that are 10" to 24" long.

I tried a bunch of stuff and settled on an old dull kitchen knife. It has about an 8" long blade and is fairly thin. You don't want it sharp or it will cut the wood instead of splitting (and can cut your fingers while you are working it).

You don't want your tool fat and thick - or you can't control the split as you make it.

I used to split out all my bracing. On a good day - it's 60% or 70% waste from a perfect looking spruce billet to brace stock ready to cut to length... Often as not - it all goes into the fire....

What I do now is to establish a good split face perpendicular to the growth rings - and then saw out the bracing parallel to this face, carefully working to keep the cuts as close along the grain lines as possible. This cuts the waste down to 30-40% off an otherwise perfect looking split face billet....
    Last edited by John C Cox; 01-04-2018 at 11:41 AM.