Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving up old bullet proof saw for saw stop...

Giving up old bullet proof saw for saw stop...

My wife brought be to acme tools and walked over to the saw stop and said "merry christmas," the day before new years eve... I was shocked, but before I take delivery I am a little disheartened about giving up my old saw now that the time has come... It is a 1956 Walker Turner 2221 built like a tank and runs like a dream... I had to completely take it apart when I first got it. But even after the rehab there are some big downsides

Cons:

1.Dust collection is terrible even with a 6" pipe connected to the back and a custom acrylic motor cover there is still too much air leak in other spots to be effective...
    2. It is really difficult change the blade angle as the trunion is mounted to the table rather than the cabinet and the trunions easily get gummed up with sawdust...
    3. Blade changes take a while, no arbor lock, and difficulty getting hands in near blade...
    4. Homemade splitter only, no riving knife... Also time consuming to put on and take off with two allen screws.
    5. Unable to make Zero clearance inserts as the recess into the saw is very shallow and no place to secure it... I have over come this by just plunging into a sheet of 1/4" mdf when needed...
    6. safety feature...

Pros:
    1. The cast iron table is much bigger... It measures 32.5 inches deep X 46 inches vs. sawstop's which is 27 inches deep X 44 inches wide...
    2. The 1 hp motor on it is a beast I can run my 8" dado through hardwoods without a hiccup, no comparison to the "1 hp" motors of today... However, I did get the 3hp option with the 36" fence.
    3. it was built in 1956 and when i took apart the saw, man those parts were so beautifully machined and stout...
    DSC_0809.jpgDSC_0816.jpgDSC_0825.jpgDSC_0807.jpgDSC_0813.jpg

What is a reasonable price to ask for my old saw...?

Why not put this thread where it belongs? In the Classifieds.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

My only advice is to be prepared for it to be worth a lot less than you may think it is worth. It is a 61 year old saw that parts have not been available for for about 30 - 40 years. Not sure which Acme you went to, but in the Cities, newer used Unisaws with bigger motors don't tend to break $1000 (and $400-$600 isn't out of the question out state), and for those, parts are at least available on eBay.

Personally, I would be ecstatic to get a few hundred dollars for that saw, if someone hauled it away. When I finally replace my '68 Unisaw that I bought and rebuilt 20 odd years ago, I know I won't get the purchase price plus what I put into it (3 hp motor, arbor, bearings, magnetic switch). Heck, I'd be amazed to just get the purchase price.

I am not trying to sound mean or depressing, but we just went through disposing of my dad's workshop, and it was a surprise to him (and even me) what the going rate for used tools is. Some of the stuff that us kids didn't want or didn't have room for, we had trouble finding anyone who would take it for free. Actually, the whole house was like that.

You might luck out and find a Walker-Turner collector that is one saw away from completing his collection, but more than likely you will be competing against other user saws and their prices.

That said, congrads on your new saw!!!! I am so envious I think I am turning green My 68' Unisaw will hopefully suffer the same fate.

I would be disheartened, too, for about 2 seconds and then I would be overjoyed. What a great wife you have. She obviously cares enough about your safety to pony up for a new SS (even though it would be half my money, too, if my wife bought it). She could have blown it on a new wardrobe, weekend with the girls, whatever.

Enjoy the new saw. Whatever you get for the old one is a bonus.

John

Blog Entries
    Having almost cutting my thumb of one Saturday, being home alone, I had to drive my self to the emergency room with the end of my thumb, I can tell you quit
    fretting about the small stuff. My thub healed, but it is a bit numb on cold mornings.

My advice is to politely tell you to quit whining about your old saw! You will love your new SawStop. It is not only a beautiful, well designed, high quality table saw, it is also a very safe cutting tool. Thank your wife , assemble your new saw and enjoy your safer woodworking.

I understand the attachment to the old saw. I’d post it on OWWM and see if you find any interest and research what other similar saw were listed for (you can’t ask for valuations but you may find old BOYD posts). I found one that sold for $175.

Enjoy the new saw! You’ll enjoy the niceties of a brand new machine and having tech support available. Just wish Steve Gass didn’t make a few bucks on it.

A used 66 goes for less than a grand around msp typically. While your saw is likely significantly better, don't expect to get much.

I've seen used #4's and Type U's go for less than a 66 on Craigslist. It's bizarre

Martin, to be fair the U and such are a different class of machinery. The Uni/66 are well known and a good size for most users, and accordingly are in more demand.

I can understand your fondness for a vintage machine that you restored and that works well. That said, I've used my friend's Sawstop and and found it to be a very nice tablesaw. I have two friends who both replaced a Unisaw with a Sawstop, and they both like their new saws. I would second the suggestion that you join the owwm.org forum and post your Walker-Turner saw on the classifieds there. Then you can take comfort in knowing that whoever buys the saw will appreciate it for what it is and take care of it.

--Geoff

keep it and use for dado only .

Having 2 tablesaws is not the worst thing.

Having huge regrets about selling a classic like that one is.

My advice is keep it and use it for dado set ups.

Unless you are completely out of shop space, keep it. I know several woodworkers who have two table saws, one has his back to back and the other has his side by side. The added table space alone is a great benefit, but to have a saw set up for just doing dado's is a definite plus.

Stop agonizing and keep both of them.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Unless you are completely out of shop space, keep it. I know several woodworkers who have two table saws, one has his back to back and the other has his side by side. The added table space alone is a great benefit, but to have a saw set up for just doing dado's is a definite plus.

Stop agonizing and keep both of them.

Charley
    +1. If you have the space, line them up back to back as out feeds for one another. Best of all worlds..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Plus it will give you another saw to use when your new saw breaks down I'm kidding