Thread: DC issue

DC issue

I recently got a General International 10110M1 DC on a Cyber Monday sale. It's rated a 2hp and 1550 CFM. The problem is that when I joint say a 2x8 the shavings plug up the DC inlet as seen in the attached picture. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. I was thinking of cutting off the metal grid/guards in the inlet but that may let a bigger piece damage the fan. I should also say that I'm using a 4" flex hose attached to the jointer.

20171223_152047.jpg
    Last edited by vince dale; 12-27-2017 at 11:10 PM.

I used to have a GI 1.5hp DC that did that.
    When I added a trash can separator it stopped.

The trash can Thien separator should work. I don't think I have ever had a DC with vanes in the inlet, but I've only had Jet collectors. I guess they are there to keep a really big chunk going into the impeller.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Jointers and planers make big shavings that like to clog things. They also like to fill up DC bags really fast. A preseperator like the trashcan rig does help a lot.

Back in my hfdc days i just removed the x. Solved that large chip issue. Had a wynn filter on it to and no pre seperator.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for all the help. I'll look into plumbing in a seperator.

Vince, I was concerned with that same issue, how I solved it! First I will say I was given the HF D.C. System new.
    i do have s few dollars tied up in it. Having said that if I had it to do over I would buy a system already built and have a
    better over all set up.
    I am happy with what I have.
    The first thing I did was deconstruct the HFDC.
    i removed the fan cover and made a new fan cover out of 3/4 MDF
    IMG_0134.jpg
    The cover now has a 6 inch opening with an HVAC 6 inch pipe that fit perfectly in the suction side of a Supper Dust Deputy
    the fan now has straight path to the SDD. I also added the Wynn 35 A filter, latter I added a Rikon 12 impeller and that made a world of difference, the airflow was ok with the HF fan but to me the $108 shipped was worth it.
    no clogs because the SDD separates the chips and dust and never goes the impeller.
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 01-03-2018 at 2:31 AM.