Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rikon 10-324 vs 2002 Laguna LT16 bandsaws

New Rikon 10-324 vs 2002 Laguna LT16 bandsaws

Hello All,
    New here.

I have a General 490 bandsaw with a 6" resaw height. I'm a hobby woodworker with some experience. I make native american flutes, knife handles and have done a couple slab tables recently. I reclaim downed trees that have interesting grain and resaw smaller pieces on my bandsaw, but 6 inch height is not enough. I have some beautiful spalted maple I want to use for the base of a burl slab table I am doing but I need a deeper resaw ability.

I have my eye on 2 different bandsaws that I think will fit my needs...but I am having a hard time deciding.

I can pick up a brand new Rikon 10-324 (14" bandsaw) for $850 USD ( converted it from canadian $ for you guys) or a very well kept 2002 (italian made) Laguna LT16 for $1170. The Laguna comes with 4 brand new blades. Doesn't have the ceramic guides.

Both have similar resaw heights around 12" and 1.5 hp motors. Rikon is 110v Laguna is 220v.

Advantage of the Rikon is I get brand new, 5 yr warranty. Nice machine that will do what I need. Very good customer support. Also $300 cheaper.

Advantage of the Laguna is Italian built, bigger wheels (16" vs14"), can handle wider blades than the rikon, comes with 4 brand new blades (biggest is a 1" 3 tpi blade), 220hp motor bigger throat.

Anything I am missing here? Does either machine jump out as better? Suggestions?

Thanks
    Randy

Personally, a 5 year warranty goes a long way. The Rikon is the same unit as the 10-325 that was discontinued and replaced with the 10-326. The 325 had an enclosed cabinet while the 324 is an open stand. The new version (10-326) has a 1 3/4 hp motor and the new adjustable guides. I have the 325 and love it. It does all I need it to do. Price wise between the two, you can get a lot of blades for $300 plus a warranty. Of course its your decision and your money.

Compare the weight of the two machines...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the Laguna is an Italian saw I would definitely choose it over the Rikon. It has a bigger wheels, probably a bigger table, a much heavier frame, better guides, and should just be a higher quality machine. Your General 490 is a great saw, too. You should consider keeping it (in addition to a new saw) and putting a narrower blade on it for cutting curves.

--Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Personally, a 5 year warranty goes a long way. The Rikon is the same unit as the 10-325 that was discontinued and replaced with the 10-326. The 325 had an enclosed cabinet while the 324 is an open stand. The new version (10-326) has a 1 3/4 hp motor and the new adjustable guides. I have the 325 and love it. It does all I need it to do. Price wise between the two, you can get a lot of blades for $300 plus a warranty. Of course its your decision and your money.
    Hi Randy,
    Welcome to the Creek! I also have a 10-325. Like Steve said, it does all I need it to do. If they both have the same HP, I don't see a need for the Laguna.

With that said - to me - buying an italian-made laguna saw would be like buying an Acura instead of a Honda - if you want it, and can swing the extra cost, you won't regret the purchase. Laguna, like Acura, is just a real nice machine.

But there's nothing wrong with that Rikon.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    If the Laguna is an Italian saw I would definitely choose it over the Rikon. It has a bigger wheels, probably a bigger table, a much heavier frame, better guides, and should just be a higher quality machine. Your General 490 is a great saw, too. You should consider keeping it (in addition to a new saw) and putting a narrower blade on it for cutting curves.

--Geoff
    You guys have a lot of the thoughts I had.
    My "shop is my 2 car garage (with no cars of course) and space is an issue or I would keep the 490. I have a nice 20" Delta scroll saw for tight curves, so I tend to leave my bandsaw with a 1/2" blade on it for general cutting and just put the 3/4" blade on when I am resawing. The 490 has been a great machine, easy to set up, and I will wind up selling it for what I paid for it 6 years ago. I bought new tires and a few blades and that is it. Can't complain when you only spend a few bucks to use a machine for 6 years.

When I look at the blades that come with the laguna it seems like they are worth about $45 each. I could see spending another $160 (+taxes) on blades if I buy the Rikon.

Like Steve says "5 year warranty goes a long way." I haven't had to collect on many warranty's in my life, but when i did it was very nice!

I think Jim was teasing when he said compare the weight. But my old general 490 is one heavy pig and it is so stable and solid. When I get my blade set up nothing is going to move and will cut consistently.

And the Acura vs Honda comparison by Frederick. So true. Was driving a Pontiac 6000 when a retired neighbour sold me an older BMW 528i that only had 60,000mi. It was his summer driver. My goodness, I couldn't believe the step up in ride and quality. I sort of figure there will be a difference in quality with the saws too. The laguna is definitelyItalian made.

Warranty wise, I wouldn't expect a lot to go wrong with a bandsaw. I think the most expensive thing is the motor which isn't really all that expensive and I can change myself. After that I would think its really just bearings and guides that are going to go. Not much else should go wrong right? I would expect it would be pretty rare for anything else to go.

I have the Rikon's older sibling, 10-325. If resawing is a major consideration, I'd go with the Laguna. For resawing, more is better - more power, more frame rigidity, more wheel diameter. I've resawn on the Rikon and it works well for once-in-a-while resaws but for frequent use it'd be undersized I think.

I would probably go with the Laguna. The cost of 4 new blades for that saw will about even out the price difference between the machines themselves.
    A warranty to me is s sales gimmick. I have never bought something for the included warranty. It's rarely been a factor in my purchase decisions. For some folks it's important, but not me.
    The motors on both are still a little small for resaw, so blade selection is going to be important, and there is no difference as to whether one is powered by 220 versus 120.
    The larger diameter of the wheel on the Laguna should allow you to use a thicker cross section blade, and if memory serves, a 1" Lennox TriMaster can be properly tensioned on that machine. If it's resaw you're after, the Lennox 2/3 varipitch TriMaster blade, is as good as they come.
    As stated, the most expensive component to replace on the saw would be the motor, so the worst that might happen is that you upgrade the motor on the Laguna should it fail to a 2 or 3hp motor.
    The laguna LT14 is by all the reviews I've ever read, a solid performer. I know there are a number of folks here on the forum that have/had one. Hopefully they will jump in.

For the record, I own a Rikon 10-340, purchased in 2005. It is used only for resaw, and it is very good at it.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-30-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Bates View Post
    You guys have a lot of the thoughts I had.
    My "shop is my 2 car garage (with no cars of course) and space is an issue or I would keep the 490. I have a nice 20" Delta scroll saw for tight curves, so I tend to leave my bandsaw with a 1/2" blade on it for general cutting and just put the 3/4" blade on when I am resawing. The 490 has been a great machine, easy to set up, and I will wind up selling it for what I paid for it 6 years ago. I bought new tires and a few blades and that is it. Can't complain when you only spend a few bucks to use a machine for 6 years.

When I look at the blades that come with the laguna it seems like they are worth about $45 each. I could see spending another $160 (+taxes) on blades if I buy the Rikon.

Like Steve says "5 year warranty goes a long way." I haven't had to collect on many warranty's in my life, but when i did it was very nice!

I think Jim was teasing when he said compare the weight. But my old general 490 is one heavy pig and it is so stable and solid. When I get my blade set up nothing is going to move and will cut consistently.

And the Acura vs Honda comparison by Frederick. So true. Was driving a Pontiac 6000 when a retired neighbour sold me an older BMW 528i that only had 60,000mi. It was his summer driver. My goodness, I couldn't believe the step up in ride and quality. I sort of figure there will be a difference in quality with the saws too. The laguna is definitelyItalian made.

Warranty wise, I wouldn't expect a lot to go wrong with a bandsaw. I think the most expensive thing is the motor which isn't really all that expensive and I can change myself. After that I would think its really just bearings and guides that are going to go. Not much else should go wrong right? I would expect it would be pretty rare for anything else to go.

I don't want to speak for Jim, but I doubt he was teasing. The Italian made saw probably weighs a lot more, that is an advantage for the Italian made saw.

If it were my money, I would go with the Laguna every time, even if it didn't come with any blades. The fact that it does is just gravy.

Make sure you have the correct Laguna model identified.
    (get a photo of the name plate on the back of the machine)

There are have been a couple of 16" saws from Laguna over the years, varying manufacturer, country of mfg (Italy/Bulgaria/China), motors, guides, and resaw capacity...

You can read more at this SMC thread: Laguna Bandsaw - Made in Bulgaria?

Matt

I built a belt grinder with a variable frequency drive and a 2hp 3phase 220v motor on it. If motors ever go on a machine like my lathe, drill press or band saw I will put a 3ph motor in and run it through the VFD and have speed control at the turn of a knob.

I have a picture of the name plate. Not a great pic, but it says Meber, Italy etc.
    meber.jpg

Actually, I wasn't teasing and your comment about the old General makes the point. A heavier, stiffer saw can bring nice benefits as long as your budget can support it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The warranty is virtually useless. Buy the better saw, the Laguna.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have a picture of the name plate. Not a great pic, but it says Meber, Italy etc.
    meber.jpg
    Hi Randy,
    At that time period, Laguna offered an upgraded version of that saw with a 2.5hp motor and a few other additional features, which is the saw I have. I feel it's a very good saw and would buy it again. It does everything I ask of it and can be tuned to be quite accurate. I will say the asking price seems a little high to me. I can't comment on the Rikon.

The fence the Meber saw came with is not great so I upgraded it with Kreg fence.

Edwin