Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite tape measure?

Hultafors PR8M Class I 8-meter tape measure and a BMI 620MFS Class II 2-meter aluminum folding rule. I have one of each in the shop and the garage. The accuracy is great, but the repeatability between them is what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by stan shields View Post
    So what do you like for use in the shop, cabinet making and other smaller projects.
    I use a steel rule(s), way more accurate than a tape. If I am forced to use a tape for longer than one metre it is a BMI Quicky. Guaranteed accuracy standard, the edges lay on the material so it can be used to draw lines, fits in my pocket etc. All the rest are for working on landscaping and carpentry projects. The three metre version has dual imperial/metric scales while the 2 metre is straight metric.

Last edited by Chris Parks; 12-29-2017 at 8:08 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

On site: Stanley 25’
    in shop: Fast Cap lefty/righty

In shop supreme accuracy: Tigerstop
    -Lud

A Lee Valley 10' tape that is marked in decimal inches. Lee Valley offered them only for a couple of years. I bought ten. I've given away several of them, along with my speech about how decimal inches is way way better than fractional inches. The rest I'm hoarding.

My current favorite tape measure is my Lee Valley metric tape measure. Why? Because it's the one I'm now using the most and seems to be quite accurate in the range that I typically use a tape measure for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I prefer a Stanley 30 ft PowerLock® Classic Tape because I helped make the machine that winds the recoil spring in the reel and then connects and winds the tape around the reel. The only problem is I own three of them and they like to hide in my shop. I do try to use the same one through out a project, though I've never noticed a difference between them.
    stanley.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Where can you buy an all metric tape measure? I can’t find them anywhere here in eastern Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    A small ("ADD 2" FOR CASE") Lufkin Chrome Clad Mezurall --- originally a 12ft. C9212, it now has a new 10' tape in it which I picked up N.O.S. on eBay (got tired of waiting for a 12' to show up --- I suppose now I'll go back to looking, either for a 12' tape, or a 10' tape)
    Ditto, these feel "right" in your hand, slide into a jeans pocket w/o restriction and for some reason, I can read the marks easier than most.
    Mac

This thread made me think.

For years, I have relied upon a Made-In-The-US-of-A bright green plastic case 16 foot, 3/4" Starrett #65388 tape. Bought it when I lived in California, probably in the mid 1990's. It is the easiest tape for me to read. I am surprised at its longevity, but I only use it in the shop, slowly pull out and release the tape, etc. Back in the day I liked it so much, I bought another one and the unopened bister package it says 1997.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-29-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    Where can you buy an all metric tape measure? I can’t find them anywhere here in eastern Iowa.
    I use a Fastcap True 32, a Fastcap metric/imperial and Stanley Fatmax 5M the most. I ordered the metric Fatmax’s, (got both a 5 meter and an 8 meter), through Amazon. Both ended up coming from the UK. The Fastcap tapes are also available through Amazon, or you can find their whole selection on Fastcap website. (I may have ordered the True 32 there.)

I do use the Fastcap flatbacks often as well. Have both metric and imperial there as well.

Clint
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 12-29-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Oddly enough, it's one I bought from Aldi a couple years back for $6.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Stanley Leverlock

I use only Stanley Leverlock steel measuring tapes. I have at least a dozen in various lengths. The operation is excellent, autolock with lever release and I don't have to push something to lock. After one mistake I'm careful not to buy one with the scale for the uneducated public (fraction labels every 1/8") - what an annoyance. I also make sure they don't have magnets on the hook - another annoyance, especially at the sawmill where everything is made of steel.

They are bright yellow and hard to lose.

My other favorite linear measuring device is not a tape but a Bosch laser measure - I used it constantly while building my shop and for construction around the farm. Consistently accurate to 1/16".

JKJ

Starrett makes metric only tapes that cost only $5.00
    Harbor Freight has no metric tape measures at all!
    Bill

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...ail/KTS34-5M-N

I use a couple that I got from Lee Valley that are center finding tapes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My favorite tape measure is (gasp!) the Harbor Freight 25’ tape measure that I get for free, when buying a 99 cent pair of scissors for 80 cents, with a 20 % off coupon. (The scissors are a great find too).

Why? Because I have ten of them and can always find one when the other nine disappear!

They actually are pretty accurate...but when I need to be exact I don’t use a tape measure, preferring to use sticks.

To each his his own I guess. 😀
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!