Thread: ......”owed” to JKJ and Reed

......”owed” to JKJ and Reed

I blame this squarely on John K Jordan and Reed Gray! I have had the same 1/2 hp no name grinder since shortly after I started turning - 2010 to be exact. I acquired a 180 grit CBN wheel soon after they became available, but with a well worn AO wheel on the other side it has never run true and is noisy. I have been looking at the Rikon 1 hp and contemplated getting an 80 grit CBN so I could shape and regrind if needed - and have a smooth running grinder with two CBN wheels. The old grinder would be relegated back to AO wheels for yard and farm use.

When a recent thread was started by another creeker about which grit CBN to get I even chided JKJ and Reed about their use of high grit wheels when my 180 has served me so well.

Well......after talking with Ken Rizza and reading Reed’s lengthy article on CBN wheels, I now own a new grinder and a Mega 600 grit wheel from Ken. The Mega wheel runs like silk. The D-Way wheel has an almost imperceptible runout. One can feel it, but can’t see it. I am sure it is because that wheel uses a bushing to fit a 5/8” spindle. I also bought another Wolverine setup as I do use the platform with the AO wheel on the old grinder.

I just got everything setup today and have not used it yet. Ken graciously offered to swap it out for the 80 if I wasn’t pleased with it.

So, JKJ and Reed, I will report back on this investment, but just know that this is all “owed” to you, or blamed on you when Ms Keeton asks about the cost!

Incidentally, the 4 drawer base cabinet was bought at Habitat Restore for $25. I love going to that place - so many treasures!! I built a riser base to bring the spindle height up to about 42”.

Sorry for the sideways phone pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

You will love the new grinder, and wheels of course. But you may as well just pull the bulb out of that light as it pretty useless.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    So, JKJ and Reed, I will report back on this investment, but just know that this is all “owed” to you, or blamed on you when Ms Keeton asks about the cost!
    I think you'll love that setup! As for the cost, too bad you didn't ask - I'm sure Reed and I would have gladly chipped in and bought it for you, new Wolverine and all. Oh well, too late now I guess.

Ken is really good about making sure every customer has the right wheels.

JKJ

4. Wow.....all that newfangled stuff.....yo’ shore done gone a gittin’ uppity thar with ‘em fancy metal grindin’ wheels an at ar spinner dohicky, Mr. Counselor! An a new wardrobe cabinet to put it all in too! Next thang ya’ know, we’ll be a seein’ pitchers with y’all aturnin’ wood all dressed up in a tuxedo an whatall. If’n yore tools get as sharp as yore tool collecshun, then ya’ might be a’needun a fresh box a them bandaid dohicky thangs!

If’n Mrs. K buys that blame that Robohipster feller, an ol’ KR, then let me know, sow’s I kin be a gettin’ my story ready fer when Mrs. C finds at new lathe thangy in ma turnin’ studio!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-29-2017 at 9:38 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Grats on your new setup, those CBN wheels sure look nice

Well, from the old song Black Rose, "The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I did it on my own." I did take that worthless lamp totally off of my 1 hp Rikon. You do need to upgrade your platform though... Of course, I am biased..... Did you have to raise the Wolverine base up to get to proper height? I think mine went up 5/8 inch.

robo hippy

Exactly 5/8” Reed. I wanted the height to center the same as my other setup - 6 3/8”, and the 5/8” under the Wolverine bases accomplished that.

I agree the platform setup does need upgrading and I hope to do that soon!

BTW, I did turn some yesterday and today and the ground surface is noticeably smoother and while I need more mileage to reach a conclusion, my first impression is that the cut is cleaner. I will say I am impressed with the 1 hp Rikon - very quick to come to full speed and quiet. I am also impressed with the Mega wheel - very smooth running.

The light is junk!

Do not throw that bulb away. you can sell it on ebay as a collectors item.
    Bill D.
    Modesto, California USA

John, did you remove the rubber feet when you mounted the grinder on your stand? I wanted mine bolted down tight for transporting, and there was a 1/8 inch difference in levels of the feet, and I had to grind them down to get it to sit flat. I heard of some one else who had the same problem and carved out a notch in the plywood to make up for the difference. It is a good grinder for the money. Not as quiet as my Baldor grinders, but cheaper... I am wondering also about you totally removing the wheel guards. Containing the metal dust, which will float in the air like wood dust has been an issue for me.

robo hippy

[QUOTE=...I had to grind them down to get it to sit flat. I heard of some one else who had the same problem...[/QUOTE]

I was one who had the same issue. I have several Rikon bench grinders and have looked at a few more and they have all had the same problem. Maybe a warped casting is a trademark for the Chinese factory.

JKJ

That Mega Square wheel looks nice! I have two of the 4-in-1 radius wheels and don't take advantage of the radius very much, more front & side area would be more useful. I can expect my wheels to wear out in what, 20 years?

Reed, mine sat flat after removing the rubber feet. It is lag bolted to the wood base. The guards are not on the ones Ken sells. Apparently he gets them like that and is able to sell them much cheaper than other dealers. I agree on the dust, but you are at the grinder MUCH more than am I and I am also a bit further down the track than you are, so I doubt I have that many more years to worry about all that!

David, my guess is you will get at least a decade and perhaps two out of the wheels. I am having a friend make a jig so I can make use of the side surface.

I do have one set of wheels which have to be 6 or 7 years old, maybe more. They barely cut, but put a nice polish on my tools, far more shiny than a brand new wheel... I did have a couple of years of production work on them, but quit production work 6 years ago when I got my hips replaced...

John, I am 67 now, and want to catch up with my dad who is 95 and still goes into work.... Insatiable curiosity...

robo hippy