Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vise options for end of bench?

It's not what you asked, but here's a different idea on work holding to be aware of - forgo the vise altogether and use holdfasts. I use a pair of these with a variety of fixtures and they work well for me. Grammercy holdfasts.

According to the website "The holdfast is designed for 3/4" hole in a workbench top of a 1 3/4" thick or thicker. 6 1/2" reach. Maximum clamping 7 1/4" in a 2" thick benchtop." You are already going to drill dog holes, you could try it and add the vise later if you decide you want one after all.

It's a different way of working - more of a Neanderthal/traditional approach, but I use it more often than my single screw QR vise. If this might be of interest to you (or anyone else) there's plenty of info on our Neander forum and across the web on working without a vise. And there are many different brands of holdfasts - these just happen to work for me.

Hope it helps.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-14-2018 at 4:44 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Brandon

In years past I used Record quick releases vises. I use my bench a great deal as I predominantly work with handtools. I built a new bench about 5 years ago, a Roubo with leg- and wagon vises, and have not missed the quick release facility for one second.

The leg vise is one I built myself: wooden screw, and then added the AYS chain drive (I test drove it for Jim Ritter. My review is here).

The write up of the leg vise installation is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...onmybench.html

This clearly does not have a quick release! The way around this is with a low tpi. Mine is 2 tpi, as I recall. This moves the screw rapidly, unlike the steel screws that on a typical quick release vise. They move about 8 times slower.

A leg vise excells in holding long panels for planing ...

The end vise is a Benchcrafted wagon vise ...

This is superb. It was the major expense for the bench, as I do not regret it one bit. The reason I went for was I needed a compact vise that would not dominate the bench top - I have a small work space.

The wagon vise excels at holding work ...

Similarly, the end vise is not a quick release. It s completely unnecessary when the bench has dog holes and dogs.

Bench ...

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-14-2018 at 8:29 AM.

Dang it Derek, your "shop furniture" is nicer than the furniture in my living room!
    What a gorgeous bench!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Fred. I do not know how you can tell ... just added a picture of the bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    Tom,
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I figured I could use a router with an edge guide but that makes me nervous with the reviews that seem to all say your doomed to failure if you stray from the directions. I tend to overthink things so i don't do well with coloring outside the lines.
    My top is 3" thick, jaws are 7" tall and about 2-1/2" thick. Underside looks like so:

TNNW (39).jpg

For my previous bench (also 3" thick) I just buried the rear jaw of the vise into the skirt of the bench.

Vise-003.jpg

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    Tom,
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I figured I could use a router with an edge guide but that makes me nervous with the reviews that seem to all say your doomed to failure if you stray from the directions. I tend to overthink things so i don't do well with coloring outside the lines.

Randy,
    I didn't mean to imply that I was only interested in cheap, but rather that the fancy $400+ videos weren't an option. Currently I'm open to suggestions. What I'm looking for in the vise is usefulness and versatility over convenience but easy to install with a thick top would easily sway my choice. Also consider this is the first vice to put on the bench with plans to add others as needed.

I'm currently considering;

Veritas twin screw

Leg vise made w/ yost screw

Rockler QR end vise. I'm thinking this is a new version since all the others were recently on clearance recently
    I doubt you'd go wrong with the Veritas Twin Screw, but I hesitated because it appears a little tricky to install, depending on the particular bench it's being installed on; my bench especially.

As for the Rockler, I looked at that as a replacement but it seemed to be the same design I already have, although it seemed better quality and better fit and finish. Not wanting to replace the vise with another of the same design only to find out it's no better, wasn't a good choice. Other than that, I can't say anything about experience with the Rockler.

Hi, I have the Veritas end vice on my bench, it's a great vice, just slow as others have pointed out.

Bench.jpgEnd Vise view.jpg

Regards, Rod.