Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a brand new 20W Fiber Laser and feel completely lost - help?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smith23 View Post
    This video is more or less exactly what I've tried along with setting speed to 11.81 inches (Gary said 300mm, but I changed my preferences to inches), power to 100, and frequency to 30. I changed the height of the galvo head from as high as it would go to as low as it would go to no avail. Tried marking on 304.
    You aren't going to get a mark on stainless at 12 ips and 100 power on stainless at 30KHz. Want to see marks on stainless, where it's actually cutting into the stainless, drop down to 20KHz and 3 ips and you should start seeing some fireworks when you get it in focus. 12 ips is a little fast for what you are trying to do.

I use English too. I don't understand why everyone leaves them machines in metric. It's just one check box and it's all in English.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    You aren&#39;t going to get a mark on stainless at 12 ips and 100 power on stainless at 30KHz. Want to see marks on stainless, where it&#39;s actually cutting into the stainless, drop down to 20KHz and 3 ips and you should start seeing some fireworks when you get it in focus. 12 ips is a little fast for what you are trying to do. I use English too. I don&#39;t understand why everyone leaves them machines in metric. It&#39;s just one check box and it&#39;s all in English.
    Scott, I tried as you suggested and still didn&#39;t get a mark on 304. I attached a picture of my settings. I lowered the galvo from the highest it could go to the lowest (just a few mm away from the material). I can shoot a video of what I did if that helps.</p>
    Attached Images Attached Images

LaserRuler.jpg

100 Lens 253 mm

150 Lens 326 mm

Ok here is a picture of my fiber laser and focus ruler, notice Ray Fine marked on the head the exact measurement in mm for the lens I am using. The measurement is from the work piece to the center Hoz. line on the Galvo head. Settings, 100% power, 20 kz Freq. and as slow as you want to go around the rectangle or whatever you have for a work design. The two laser dots, one is internal the other is external and YOU need to set so both are one When YOU get the proper focus. You do not need stainless it could be any metal that it will mark, carbon steel will work fine and then adjust as needed for each job. All you want to see is sparks!!

Otherwise contact your vender for support. China does not have Sundays off, maybe the New Year?

Scott, ALL my machines are in mm, I even have a tape measure in mm. Its just easier that way!! Happy New Year.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-31-2017 at 4:40 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

To (hopefully) help with the confusion, my focus distances are, as I noted above, based on the bottom of the lens collar, NOT the bottom or centerline of the scanhead:
    ffocus1.jpgffocus2.jpg

There's several reasons I use the collar as a reference point- for one, I can stand up my focus stick
    --another reason, because my scissor table isn't connected to the machine, by using the lens collar I can insure the work I'm engraving is parallel TO the lens collar by checking focus at different points around the collar. Can't do that with the red dots --

Speaking of the red dots, I have mine aligned so they DON'T meet together- I have the dots arranged so that when focused they're about a mm apart horizontally but aligned vertically. So as long as they're dead straight across from each other I'm good.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

To me, it sounds like this is a bigger issue. Sounds like it's not a focus issue and the laser simply isn't firing at all. The fact that he cannot produce any marks at any focus level tells me that his laser isn't firing at all. I suspect it could be as simple as a switch that's not turned on, or a cable that's not plugged in, or possibly even something in the software that's not set right, but there doesn't seem to be anything but the red dot.

On a different note, what 2 red dots are you all talking about? 2 red dots? Now I'm confused.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

One dot is internal and is like the Red dot on our usual lasers, just to get the center. The other dot is external and adjusted to the location needed. Usually once you get your focus perfect, you align the external dot to line up perfectly with internal dot. So when your in correct focus height both are together. This will need tweaking per job of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    One dot is internal and is like the Red dot on our usual lasers, just to get the center. The other dot is external and adjusted to the location needed. Usually once you get your focus perfect, you align the external dot to line up perfectly with internal dot. So when your in correct focus height both are together. This will need tweaking per job of course.
    Ahh, must be a feature of your system. My heat gun has that feature but my laser doesn't

Blog Entries
    I agree Kev, that is why I said Focus DISTANCE, not Focal length..... I tried looking on line for a 175mm x175mm lens and I couldn't get a true focal length listed off vendor sites. I expect he's got something not set up right in the parameters of the machine.
    No telling from this distance
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

....I use English too. I don't understand why everyone leaves them machines in metric. It's just one check box and it's all in English.
    not ALL in English I'm afraid, at least for me- I can change EZcad to work on-screen in inches, but the machine sees the numbers as millimeters; a 5" circle onscreen gets me a 5mm circle engraved...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    not ALL in English I'm afraid, at least for me- I can change EZcad to work on-screen in inches, but the machine sees the numbers as millimeters; a 5" circle onscreen gets me a 5mm circle engraved...
    Then you have something set wrong. A 5" circle on screen engraves a 5" circle on my machine. That's why I don't understand why people who have other lasers and are working in English suddenly are doing everything in MM's. I don't have a problem with the metric system, but I don't understand why you'd want to work on two worlds when you can work in one or the other.

...On a different note, what 2 red dots are you all talking about? 2 red dots? Now I'm confused.
    These are the 2 red dots -

dots.jpg
    --the dot on the right is the thru-the-lens dot, always stationary.

--the dot on the left comes from this red laser mounted on the front of the machine-
    dots1.jpg
    -because it's firing on an angle, this dot always moves relative to the height of the table (or the work)...
    These usually come set up from China to be in focus when the 2 dots converge, right on top of each other.
    Me, I kept having to use a loupe to satisfy myself that the dots were in fact equal-
    I found it much easier to move them apart, and align them across, so my first pic above depicts IN FOCUS...

These pics depict OUT of focus,
    this one, part is too low...
    dots2.jpg

this one, part is too high...
    dots3.jpg

This is much easier for my eyes, and saves a step in not having to find the loupe!

The 2-dot thing IS a good method of focusing--
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I can see where that would be helpful. I have a heat gun for applying wraps that has it. When the two dots align, you get an accurate temperature measurement of the surface.

Spoke with the manufacturer and they are requesting I send the laser back as it appears to be faulty. Will hopefully have an update within the next couple weeks when they send me a new laser and I get it installed. Thank you to everybody who's contributed so far!

Then you have something set wrong. A 5" circle on screen engraves a 5" circle on my machine. That's why I don't understand why people who have other lasers and are working in English suddenly are doing everything in MM's.
    Could be I do... funny thing, if I set my 'wrench' icon (system) parameters to INCH, the rest of those parameters and the screen change to inch. But the F3 'configuration markcfg0' parameters DON'T change, everything is still in MM... BUT, running the same EZcad on this computer in DEMO mode, changing the system parameters changes EVERYTHING.

but then, my other Triumph's LaserSoft is strictly metric, so I'm getting used to it. But then, I cheat and keep an INCH=MM converter webpage open all the time
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smith23 View Post
    Spoke with the manufacturer and they are requesting I send the laser back as it appears to be faulty. Will hopefully have an update within the next couple weeks when they send me a new laser and I get it installed. Thank you to everybody who's contributed so far!
    Who is paying for the return shipping to China?