Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED light fixture with gooseneck arm??

LED light fixture with gooseneck arm??

Anyone have a fixture like this? Thinking about one for over my grinder and one by my chop saw for task lighting.
    If you have one where did you find it?
    Thanks!

When I saw your request I thought immediately on Photography stuff as it is common for macro Photography setup... but it is something expensive.

A fast search in amazon.com by "gooseneck light" brought back a lot of options, most of them muuuch more affordable than I was expecting for.

If you live in the US I think it is easy to find also in some major retailers - I remind I saw a few models even at Walmart/Sam's Club a couple of years ago...

Let us know about them after you eventually purchase some of them and effectively use for your applications.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 12-30-2017 at 7:01 AM. Reason: Typo... as usual!

I don't know if you have an Ikea store nearby but this light looks interesting
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20315674/

The Ikea "Jansjo" lights are great and only $10. I bought the kind that come with a base (I'm not positive but I think the gooseneck is longer on the ones with the base as opposed to the ones with the clamp). Threw the bases away and fabricated new 3-inch bases with a bunch of rare-earth magnets epoxied into the bottom so I can "stick" one to each tool.

IMG_5070.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Engelschall; 12-30-2017 at 10:32 AM.

I have a couple of the Ikea Janso lights, and for the price, they are quite good. They don't use batteries, either, so that's another plus.

I have this one from Lee Valley,too. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...89&cat=1,43349

It is pricey and uses batteries, but it really puts out the light and the magnetic base grips like crazy.l
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    Anyone have a fixture like this? Thinking about one for over my grinder and one by my chop saw for task lighting.
    If you have one where did you find it?
    Thanks!
    I probably have two dozen adjustable lamps in my shop but like these best: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps
    I have a bunch of the Super Novas, two Beacons, and a smattering of the little Galaxys, I use them on each lathe, bandsaw, drill press, bench grinder, milling machine, and photo booth.

You forgot to say whether you wanted a magnetic base or a clamp on base or something else. Most of the above are magnetic although I removed the powerful magnet base from the Super Nova I use at my primary lathe and drilled and tapped a hole in the cast iron bracket to hold it. The second photo shows that lamp in use by a student.

lamp_mount_IMG_20171228_214144_854.jpg Kristina_IMG_7377.jpg

These are not inexpensive but funny thing, you get what you pay for. I have cheaper lights but side-by-side there is no comparison for critical task lighting. But because you are cheap (as you proclaimed on the other forum) you can certainly get by for less for a chop saw. Even Walmart sells inexpensive lamps with adjustable arms. Buy one and install an LED bulb and be done with it.

JKJ

Brightness can be an issue with LED lamps. The low-price sources rarely tell how many lumens the lamps put out, and that generally means they're dim. The gooseneck one I have on my drill press is nicely flexible, but annoyingly dim. The lamps I saw at Ikea a few years ago were too dim.

How about installing t5 lights generously in your shop? To me, if you need task lights, your shop is not lighted sufficiently. After installing my t5 lights, the difference was... night and day😜

I bought 2 of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...hoCv5cQAvD_BwE to add to my scroll saw, one to each side of the blade cut area. They each have about 12 very bright white LEDs that produce very even lighting of the saw table. Using two of these this way almost completely eliminates the blade shadow, making it very easy to follow the pattern line with the blade.I now have two more of these lights on my other scroll saw, one on my drill press, one on my band saw and one on my grinder, plus two more that I move around for spot lighting. I also have two with heavy weighted bases to put on my display tables when I go to craft shows.

Charley

I bought this one off of Amazon just a couple weeks ago. So far I have found it to be very nice and bright for additional light on the lathe and band saw. I wasn't expecting too much for $25 but am pleasantly surprised.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012C240BS/

Google Moffatt light , and go to their own website (something like moffattproducts), if you want a good one. They have many choices, and prices are as good on their website, or better than you can find them elsewhere, and they have the full assortment of setups available. If they are too expensive, shop ebay.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-30-2017 at 12:26 PM.

T5 fixtures and task lighting

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    How about installing t5 lights generously in your shop? To me, if you need task lights, your shop is not lighted sufficiently. After installing my t5 lights, the difference was... night and day😜
    I agree and disagree. I installed nine 4-bulb T5 fixtures in my shop and they are incredible. I wired mine so only half the bulbs on each fixture come on with the others switchable as needed.

However for task lighting I still prefer additional directed lighting. For example, I use three task lights on my bandsaw, one on either side of the blade and a very bright one over my left shoulder. Regardless of the overhead lights, the critical point of focus on the band saw is always a bit in the shadow of the saw or my head. Same with my drill press. Part of this is for accuracy, part for safety.

There is another place in my shop where I consider bright small-diameter task lights critical - at the wood lathe. Broad, diffuse lighting such as from a ceiling full of long fluorescent bulbs can actually make it more difficult to see and judge compound curves and can hide scratches and defects. "Point source" lights positioned at a glancing angle can put scratches in relative shadow and make them far easier to see. The same with curves: one or more task lights can give visual clues to the actual curvature that are not possible with diffuse overhead lighting. I'm convinced that some of the mediocre turnings and poor finishes I see are at least partially due to inappropriate lighting. If you can't see it, how can you fix it? This is especially important with aging eyes. [Soap box mode off...]

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I probably have two dozen adjustable lamps in my shop but like these best: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/lamps
    I have a bunch of the Super Novas, two Beacons, and a smattering of the little Galaxys, I use them on each lathe, bandsaw, drill press, bench grinder, milling machine, and photo booth.
    I will +1 this - the magnetic lights from woodtunerswonders have been amazing for me, I have 3. Not cheap, but high quality - look for coupons, they have them occasionally. No affiliation with them.

You can just buy a incandescent lamp and replace the bulb. that is what I did for my bandsaw lamp. It is a small floodlight led bulb. No bigger then a standard round incandescent bulb.
    Problem with a factory made LED bulb is the power supply may be low quality and when it fails you are screwed.
    Bill D

Amazon is full of very cheap sewing lights with strong magnetic bases. You have to be careful to check the lumens, and you will need AC. Also, they're made in China, so if you buy one, you may need to work on it a little. I use one for TIG welding.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.