Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robust American Beauty vs Sweet 16

I was relatively happy with the lathe(s) I had, a Jet 1642 and a PM which was supposed to replace the Jet. I preferred the 1642. Then I took a class with Derek Weidman at Arrowmont. Since there were several Robust lathes in the classroom, I decided to try one. Both the ABs were taken, so I used the Sweet 16. By the end of the week I had decided that I ought to get a new lathe. In particular, the blocky headstock of both the Jet and PM got in the way in turning some of the types of things I make, but many other features were great improvements on what I had. Since space was not a real limiting factor, I decided to get the AB.

To me, the question is which would you rather turn bowls on, a long bed lathe (Sweet 16) or a short bed lathe? To get the best of both, so you don't have to extend your arms, or lean over, the sliding headstock does this excellently. If I was to choose between Robust lathes, my choice would be between the Beauty and the Liberty, not the Sweet 16. Only other one I would consider is the Vicmark with the pivoting headstock. I have not really had a chance to play on one and make it sweat. We had a new turner move to Eugene who has one and has promised me a play date. It does have the only good pivoting headstock option I have seen, pull a pin, move it, replace the pin. Dead on sets every time, and on a heavy duty post. I got my AB with 3 hp, and have had it for close to 10 years, can't remember.... It has the 3 speed pulley, and didn't come stock with a lever handle for sliding the headstock. I do love the 3 speed pulleys... I also have a Liberty. Great mid sized lathe.

robo hippy